check this stove out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes me want to learn Norwegian. What a stove, I would guess a small version of a masonry mass stove, Looks like a demo, or used in a sauna. I could really see one in my place. Any more info on it?

where's the smoke go?????? Awfully small firebox!!! Wouldn't want to accidentally fall into it!! Those Aluminum Biscuit Shims won't last long (Random thoughts)

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
where's the smoke go?????? Awfully small firebox!!! Wouldn't want to accidentally fall into it!! Those Aluminum Biscuit Shims won't last long (Random thoughts)

-Soupy1957

How do they ensure a leak free joint. I didn't see any gasket.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
How do they ensure a leak free joint. I didn't see any gasket.

Ya, did yer notice de metalen strips zorgen voor de afdichting in de verticale naden? No cementen de furnaceshloygel!

the gas path on that thing was pretty cool. was it three levels or two? and yea no stack or outlet for the smoke! The gas path resembles the old american standard oil burner in my fathers house. from the 1880's. has multiple paths to take all the heat out of the gases on the way to the stack. Similar to power boilers at power plants these days. multiple passes serve two reasons to abosorb all the heat but also to change direction multiple times to change the speed of the gas and knock out the particulates.

edit just watched the post that 48 rob put up and that was built directly on a tile floor.

I'd love to have a Tulikivi truck come rolling up our driveway.

A friend of ours has this Tulikivi 1450/2:

http://www.tulikivi.com

2,950 lbs.!

His stove exhaust is about 6" from the floor yet his stove stands 63" tall.

link no work

BeGreen said:
I'd love to have a Tulikivi truck come rolling up our driveway.

I read something recently about a guy in your type climate installing one and having to have it removed after a few years. He claimed that because of the highly variable weather and the enormous heat capacity of the stove, he had to be able to predict the weather about three days in advance in order to match the heat output to the conditions he would face.

This is a problem for me even here in the northeast during shoulder season with my basement install. If I fail to get all the masonry warmed up sufficiently during warm spells, I can't get the place warm when we get a sudden cold snap. If I keep the stove cranking during the warm spells, there is nothing I can do to contain the stored heat and we have to open doors and windows or roast. Nothing I can do about it, but I definitely see this effect occurring every year.

Battenkiller said:
f3cbboy said:
The gas path resembles the old american standard oil burner in my fathers house.

I wonder if it resembles the waste path in Adios Pantelones' American Standard toilet?

My guess is that the waste path there is down, rather than up...

Battenkiller said:
f3cbboy said:
The gas path resembles the old american standard oil burner in my fathers house.

I wonder if it resembles the waste path in Adios Pantelones' American Standard toilet?

gas path go up waste path go down..

dan you beat me to it

Lynch said:
link no work

I tried copying the link into the address bar and it worked...

Tulikivi's US headquarters is apparently in Charlottesville, VA, with distributors across US.

Geez Louise! At 2.2 pounds per kilogram, this model weighs 4.8 tons! Shipping from Finland must cost an arm and a leg.

> TTU2700/2
Fireplace
Height: 2190 mm
Weight: 4360 kg

f3cbboy said:
Battenkiller said:
f3cbboy said:

gas path go up waste path go down..

dan you beat me to it

I thought the analogy was pretty good. Check out this Tulikivi installation. That tan ceramic at the left is the flue exit. Gas out low, just like AP's commode.

the analogy was good. I have never seen something vented out the bottom like that. I guess i have to watch that vid again. is there something blowing the gas and smoke out that bottom vent. i don't get it. physics says heat flows from hot to cold, unless you add some energy. just puttin that hole on the bottom, and the gas will flow that way??

If you look at how a good masonry stove is designed, there are often several passages where the smoke goes downward. This wouldn't work well in a flue that had neutral or negative draft, but should be ok with a flue that has strong natural draft. I saw low exit kachelovens in Europe too. It's counter-intuitive, but they seem to work well.

hey begreen - i looked up those kacheloven and found a good write up in a site lowtechmagazine. thanks for givin me something to capare to so i could get an understanding. they have designs for a build it yourselfer. i would like to have a house that would facilitiate an install like this.

f3cbboy said:
the analogy was good. I have never seen something vented out the bottom like that. I guess i have to watch that vid again. is there something blowing the gas and smoke out that bottom vent. i don't get it. physics says heat flows from hot to cold, unless you add some energy. just puttin that hole on the bottom, and the gas will flow that way??

The gases are forced to flow in the direction they are being pulled by the force of the draft, so it's not a heat transfer mediated phenomenon, it is gas pressure driven.

My VC would vent like that once the bypass is closed if it wasn't for the redirecting of the flame path through the baffles cast into the back. I can even crack the top load door open a bit and look inside and the gases still vent out the lower rear of the stove. Good downdraft design, helps clean up the burn compared to a straight ahead air-tight by forcing the smoke through the coals a second time.

Ultimately you need a great draft in the chimney to make that work. My understanding is that they burn fast and hard/efficient with a good amount of air. Short efficient burns with longer radiative times from the mass of the stove.

I'm reminded of several passive downdraft stove and kiln designs, but with all the passages and turns- it must really have greater draft requirements.

Battenkiller said:
f3cbboy said:

The gases are forced to flow in the direction they are being pulled by the force of the draft, so it's not a heat transfer mediated phenomenon, it is gas pressure driven.

My VC would vent like that once the bypass is closed if it wasn't for the redirecting of the flame path through the baffles cast into the back. I can even crack the top load door open a bit and look inside and the gases still vent out the lower rear of the stove. Good downdraft design, helps clean up the burn compared to a straight ahead air-tight by forcing the smoke through the coals a second time.

Doesn't the heat have to travel that way naturally to generate the draft? Once it is movin, it tends to flow that way. i am not really into stove design, but i do have a little understanding of mechanically designing the stove box to move the air in a certain direction.

BeGreen said:
I thought the analogy was pretty good. Check out this Tulikivi installation. That tan ceramic at the left is the flue exit. Gas out low, just like AP's commode.

I wonder, then, if Adios P's septic tank is on his roof?

If it is he's going to need a royal flush to clear the pipes or he'll end up with a full house. %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.