Check this thing out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdscj8

Feb 19, 2009
Eastern,Nebraska
Nearly jumped out of my seat when i saw that. Had to turn it off.

Is it available with a four-way wedge? %-P

Wow! Far worse than my worst imagination. I cringed every time that wedge spun around and his hand was near it.

Video shows up on here from season to season - still shocking to watch. Don't suppose the old guy's name was Lefty? I do notice the white 'safety' line painted where the blade will come slicing through the log. Wonder if that is a modern safety device or original?

His name is Righty, notice that the left arm is in the killzone when he puts the splits on the conveyor belt.........

Certainly would not want to do that after tipping a few cold ones!

Love the way the wood sticks to the "wedge", stops the wheel, but didint kill the motor! whats he runnin? some fancy clutch system? must have a overload dump valve on his "splitter"

Backwoods Savage said:
Certainly would not want to do that after tipping a few cold ones!

I would need a few cold ones just to get the nerve up :grrr:

And he has no eye protection, he could actually get something in his eye or something.

Who comes up with these ideas? Maybe the same guy who thought up lawn darts?
Do they think it is an improvement on what exists?
It stopped spinning on one log - my heart did a little flippity thinking he caught his hand....
Brrrrrr.

PINEBURNER said:
Love the way the wood sticks to the "wedge", stops the wheel, but didint kill the motor! whats he runnin? some fancy clutch system? must have a overload dump valve on his "splitter"

Probably just a loose belt drive.

I wonder if they tried an auto loader of some sort. Would make it much safer. Probably the biggest splitter around!

Notice how it's only the grizzled old geezer who actually splits the wood and the younger guys just bring it to him. And it looks like he has all 10 digits attached.

Not sayin' that I would want to get anywhere near that thing, but looks like "Lefty" has some purty good hand-eye coordination.

Peace,
- Sequoia

a shocking lack of proper eye protection....

And he has no eye protection, he could actually get something in his eye or something.

Well, that would have made this video even more ironic - someone ignorant enough to be operating this rig with the obvious danger to their hands but somehow thoughtful enough to wear eye protection!

Ever seen the Dirty Jobs episode at the mill where they make cedar shakes? That is way scarier than this log splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.