1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

checked/cracked and wet or not checked/cracked and dry?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by CowboyAndy, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy New Member

Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    I have came across a few pieces that were checked and cracked pretty good, but still sizzled and hissed when put in the furnace. Yet I have come across some that were NOT checked and cracked, that burned without sizzling, steaming, foaming, etc.

whats the deal?

Also, what effect does extreme cold have on it? I have some stuff in my woodshed (fully enclosed) that when put in there in october was nice and checked/cracked, but now doesnt seem to be as much? but if I take some down near the furnace, its cracked again!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Wood checks because the outside dries faster than the inside: imagine the outside trying to shrink more than the inside. That said- cut and split some oak and see how long it takes to check and turn grey- MUCH less than that 2 yrs we all hear about, that's for sure. Even if it does dry, it can get rained on and then you have checked wood that's soaked.

On the other hand- take down a styanding dead tree and it may have dried slowly with the bark on- now the moisture has equilibrated through the wood and so the outside and inside dry at a similar rate. Often you'll see a standing dead oak without bark and a big check on the outside- that's from drying as well. If it dried slowly enough, then the moisture is the same throughout and the shrinkage is the same in the middle- no need to check to relieve strain.
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Man with no pants is right. If wood dries slowly it shrinks more evenly with less checking on the end grain.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.