checked/cracked and wet or not checked/cracked and dry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
I have came across a few pieces that were checked and cracked pretty good, but still sizzled and hissed when put in the furnace. Yet I have come across some that were NOT checked and cracked, that burned without sizzling, steaming, foaming, etc.

whats the deal?

Also, what effect does extreme cold have on it? I have some stuff in my woodshed (fully enclosed) that when put in there in october was nice and checked/cracked, but now doesnt seem to be as much? but if I take some down near the furnace, its cracked again!

Wood checks because the outside dries faster than the inside: imagine the outside trying to shrink more than the inside. That said- cut and split some oak and see how long it takes to check and turn grey- MUCH less than that 2 yrs we all hear about, that's for sure. Even if it does dry, it can get rained on and then you have checked wood that's soaked.

On the other hand- take down a styanding dead tree and it may have dried slowly with the bark on- now the moisture has equilibrated through the wood and so the outside and inside dry at a similar rate. Often you'll see a standing dead oak without bark and a big check on the outside- that's from drying as well. If it dried slowly enough, then the moisture is the same throughout and the shrinkage is the same in the middle- no need to check to relieve strain.

Man with no pants is right. If wood dries slowly it shrinks more evenly with less checking on the end grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.