Checked moisture content of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Got MM from Harbor Freight on the advice of some here. Did some checking today for first time. No surprises but nice to have confirmation.

Locust split just over a year ago is around 16-18%

Dead standing locust taken down last weekend is less at 15%

Dead standing Oak split in Aug is 18-20%

Irene Oak split 3 weeks ago 34-37%

Irene Ash is about 24-27%

Sounds about right, so seems the meter works. Thanks for recommendation!

looks like a little peace of mind in a small package. Glad you are happy with it.

As long as the readings were from the center of freshly re-split splits.

cool.
thanks for posting these results.

hey gang...how about that oak?
standing dead and 18% after a 1/3 drying season after being split.

that's encouraging. i just dropped a 1 cord standing dead oak last week. these results tell me if i c/s/s it now it will be well ready by next winter. i was planning on adding it to my 13/14 pile. oh wait...i don't HAVE a 13/14 pile.

OT

BrotherBart said:
As long as the readings were from the center of freshly re-split splits.

Did it by the book.

onetracker said:
cool.
thanks for posting these results.

hey gang...how about that oak?
standing dead and 18% after a 1/3 drying season after being split.

that's encouraging. i just dropped a 1 cord standing dead oak last week. these results tell me if i c/s/s it now it will be well ready by next winter. i was planning on adding it to my 13/14 pile. oh wait...i don't HAVE a 13/14 pile.

OT

I hope you get the same results but there's dead standing and dead standing and your results may vary.

Incidently I got the wood, about 3/4 cord, for $40 bucks. Was cut to length but I had to split. This was just before Irene gave everyone a freebie so I thought my timing could have been better. But now that I see it's usable for this year I'm feeling pretty good about it.

sounds about where it should be. We have the same mm and its quite handy. fresh cut oak was greater than 40% (and sometimes infinite) over here but thats the minute after we dropped it.

maxed_out said:
sounds about where it should be. We have the same mm and its quite handy. fresh cut oak was greater than 40% (and sometimes infinite) over here but thats the minute after we dropped it.

I can believe >40%. The oak was Irene scrounge that was on the ground (actually in the street) leaves on for good two weeks before I even bucked it up. Still high 30's in moisture at first reading. Don't expect to use it for a couple years. Ash should be good next season.

jatoxico said:
Got MM from Harbor Freight on the advice of some here. Did some checking today for first time. No surprises but nice to have confirmation.

Locust split just over a year ago is around 16-18%

Dead standing locust taken down last weekend is less at 15%

Dead standing Oak split in Aug is 18-20%

Irene Oak split 3 weeks ago 34-37%

Irene Ash is about 24-27%

Sounds about right, so seems the meter works. Thanks for recommendation!

I picked up a MM at the dump today (Home Depot), it was a ryobi non prong style. When I re-split some splits I was getting 18-20% on red oak that is about 1.5 years old on the racks drying. I'm wondering if this number is safe enough for oak or should it sit a little longer?

My Oslo heats my home said:
When I re-split some splits I was getting 18-20% on red oak that is about 1.5 years old on the racks drying. I'm wondering if this number is safe enough for oak ..

That number is safe enough for ANY cord wood. Burn 'em if ya got 'em.

I was probably one of the ones that recommended it. Nice peace of mind to know the numbers in the first year or two. After you get far enough ahead you probably won't use it much. My batteries just died in mine and wondering if I should bother replacing them.

GolfandWoodNut said:
I was probably one of the ones that recommended it. Nice peace of mind to know the numbers in the first year or two. After you get far enough ahead you probably won't use it much. My batteries just died in mine and wondering if I should bother replacing them.

Yes I think you did recommend, thanks it seems to work well. It's been especially useful for my scrounge wood where I don't necessarily know when wood was cut or fell. My instincts are not too far off but it's nice to have confirmation and I may find some surprises now that I can actually check MC.

Status
Not open for further replies.