Checked the chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post Dennis. I find the same thing with my Hearthstone, very little to no creosote. I also burn dry, at least 3 year old seasoned wood. Mostly ash as well.
I do check my chimney 2 times a year but I think that comes from when I was younger we had a old blaze king ( big piece of steel with an 8" hole on top with a magic heat
) that required cleaning at least 2 times a month! Buckets of creosote!!! We burnt mostly nice green oak that my parents would get a permit for on state land up north. I guess back then you didn't know any different. We stayed warm tho. Lol....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Today was the first time I've cleaned the Kings stainless steel chimney since the install of March 2011.From the stove to the 45 degree elbow absolutely spotless,just a faint red hue powder if anything.From the chimney cap to the trap was virtually spotless some faint black soot in the pipe,two swipes in and out and I was done. The trap about two feet from the 45 elbow is about two inches deep and had less than two eight ounce cups of shiny black slivers in it. The cat front and back had not one honeycomb plugged I ran the shop vac up and down both sides of it and you can see through it perfectly.I believe I'm doing something right,I burn 24/7 I'm ready for my first fire soon.

Dennis

That's amazing, only 12 feet of class A surrounded by trees. Jeez - you have broken the laws of physics. But glad it works, you certainly have a good setup.

Physics, ha! Who cares about those laws. ;lol Seriously Tony, I too was amazed when all went so well and it allowed us to save a few dollars. I am curious what a different stove would do but not curious enough to want to buy one just yet.

Glad it is working out for you so well.

My chimney is only 12 or 13 feat but it works out well in cold weather but soso above 35.

Dennis, that sounds encouraging having such a clean pipe after all those years of burning. I'm looking forward to burning my Fireview as well. Almost done with my hearth pad. We live in the same surroundings you do, on 96 acres. A big peace of mind,,, a lot of free downed trees as well. Even some nice critters here as well......... PRMS0017.JPG

Sounds great Charly. You have a bit more acreage than we do but we'll never run out of wood.

Sounds great Charly. You have a bit more acreage than we do but we'll never run out of wood.
Yes Dennis, that's a nice feeling seeing all the wood just laying down that I didn't get to yet. Have to cut some more trails into my back woods so I can get to stuff. There's an old logging trail that is still there , but needs some cleaning up. I guess some more firewood as you clean. Yes it's nice not having to buy wood.

Charly, we had a terrible wind storm back in July. I've finally opened up a few lanes but still lots to go to get back to where we want to cut this fall. It will wait until December.

Charly, we had a terrible wind storm back in July. I've finally opened up a few lanes but still lots to go to get back to where we want to cut this fall. It will wait until December.
That's funny Dennis, I do the same thing! I hope for little snow and nice cool weather to work in. Boy Dennis, it doesn't get any better then that, working out in the woods and enjoying all the sights and sounds. Good for ones mind and body! Then coming in to a nice wood warmed house after working in the woods. Got to love it!

You surely are right there Charly. Starting next week we have deer hunting and I quit by December 1 and sometimes sooner. Then it is wood cutting time. I stack it up and do all the splitting after snow melt. Works great. And yes, that wood heat feels great. I'm enjoying it right now.

With such a short chimney, the only explanation for the lack of creosote must be vertical splitting and a milk crate...;)

Sent from my Neti Pot 2000

With such a short chimney, the only explanation for the lack of creosote must be vertical splitting and a milk crate...;)

.......or cutting wood after deer season and splitting in the spring sounds more logical to me. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.