Checking an insert flue temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etiger2007

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2012
Clio Michigan
So I checked the temp of my ss liner through the old Superior fireplace name plate two feet above the insert. I pointed the Infrared laser in there and the liner read 140 for a temp the insert stove top was over 600. One I think its cool because not every insert owner can check the flue temp. Two For the stove being so hot wouldnt you think the flue temp would be hotter? Whats your opinion of this. Could I burn the insert hotter?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 86
If you look close you can see the ss liner through the grate in pic two

How far away is the ss liner from your laser face ? or possibly what your aiming through could be distorting your return reading on your temp, looks like there are obstacles you are aiming through in your pic. How long had it been burning when you took the temp. ? Todd 2

The laser is about one ft from the ss liner, The stove was running for about an hour and a half. Doubt the obstructions because the laser is on the ss liner when it beeps

One would think that the flue should be warmer with 600 stove top and 1 1/2 hrs burn time ? Wheres Begreen when you need him. LOL Lets see what some others reply Ed, thats single wall liner correct ?

Status
Not open for further replies.