Checking Smoke detectors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
With the burning season right at our doorstep, we go through the ritual of checking things to make sure we are good to go. We all Ck the batteries in our smoke detectors, Hopefully, someone hasn't removed them and put them in some toy. But what we may neglect is checking the age of our smoke detectors. Smoke detectors have a shelf life of 10 years and need to be replaced. Older ones may still work, but they are NOT dependable.
I recently found some replacement units that had a 10 yr battery installed. Do regular checks. After 10 years, toss and replace the unit. Of course there are other safety things to ck, CO detectors, fire extinguishers, surge protector in place. metal covered can for handling ashes, clean stove and nothing combustibles near the stove etc.
Have a safe home heating experience and sleep well knowing you done your safety checks properly.

I just bought a new CO detector for my upstairs (have on already downstairs for the wood stove) because of the new pellet insert. Had no idea they were only good for 7 years (or at least the one I bought). After 7 years it beeps constantly every 30 seconds and something is supposed to tell me its at the end of its life. New one on me.....

save$ said:
With the burning season right at our doorstep, we go through the ritual of checking things to make sure we are good to go. We all Ck the batteries in our smoke detectors, Hopefully, someone hasn't removed them and put them in some toy. But what we may neglect is checking the age of our smoke detectors. Smoke detectors have a shelf life of 10 years and need to be replaced. Older ones may still work, but they are NOT dependable.
I recently found some replacement units that had a 10 yr battery installed. Do regular checks. After 10 years, toss and replace the unit. Of course there are other safety things to ck, CO2 detectors, fire extinguishers, surge protector in place. metal covered can for handling ashes, clean stove and nothing combustibles near the stove etc.
Have a safe home heating experience and sleep well knowing you done your safety checks properly.

That's great advice. In this busy day and age your reminder is much appreciated. Thanks.

i just replaced mine with a kidde smoke/ co2 combo...

great advise.....

thats what i forgot today ,was in hd to buy door fans ,will be going back tomarrow to get a NEW detector and install it , thanks for the reminder

Mine all remind me in unison when even one thinks its backup battery is going bad, the stupid things talk to each other.

The one upstairs in the great room started the chorus off earlier this fall so they all got new batteries.

Smokey we have the same setup when cooking in the oven and something spills over they all go off. Have to open the doors and turn the fans on high.

I always kid to the family that the smoke detector is the Mrs.'s cooking timer,,,, following the age old recipe of "when it's smokin' it's cookin', when it's black it's done"

What are the chances of her reading this, huh?,,, really,,,, no way right?? hmmmm

John

I was wondering what type of fire extinguisher to use by my Pellet Stove? I know they come in different types of surpressant ? and want to pick one that would do the
least damage to the stove if I had to use it.

Levamealone said:
I was wondering what type of fire extinguisher to use by my Pellet Stove? I know they come in different types of surpressant ? and want to pick one that would do the
least damage to the stove if I had to use it.

Use an ABC, and don't cheap out with one of those little 1# under the cabinet cheapos. Get at least a 5#, and DON'T put it "by the stove". Put it by the entry/exit to the room, if something happens you don't want to go into the fire to get the extinguisher. I see people do the same thing with the kitchen stove, putting it on the wall behind the stove, you'd have to reach through the flames to get it. Extinguishers should ALWAYS be by a door, don't ever let the fire get between you and your escape route,

Status
Not open for further replies.