Cherry Above the Swamp Done!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Nice quick grab on this Cherry and the bugs were not even a bother. I also stopped and grabbed some Beech I had cut and split a few weeks back.

The Cherry we ended up getting 32 rounds.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_3141.jpg
    100_3141.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 100_3142.jpg
    100_3142.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 100_3143.jpg
    100_3143.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 293
  • 100_3148.jpg
    100_3148.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 263
  • 100_3150.jpg
    100_3150.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 267
nice job zap...how long would that bit of wood last in the dead of winter? whenever i make a load of wood, i catch myself thinking "well, that will last a week to 10 days pre-season, or 4-5 days mid-season." i do a truckload at a time...

yooperdave said:
nice job zap...how long would that bit of wood last in the dead of winter? whenever i make a load of wood, i catch myself thinking "well, that will last a week to 10 days pre-season, or 4-5 days mid-season." i do a truckload at a time...

That is a good question yooperdave, if I remember I'll count the splits we get out of the 32 rounds. Then this winter we will track how many splits in the shoulder and in the dead of winter.

Zap

looking good zap. you are a machine. you get any fishin in yet?

maxed_out said:
looking good zap. you are a machine. you get any fishin in yet?

Not any walleye fishing yet, most days on the weekends have been a east wind. That old saying holds true, winds from the east they bite the least and from the west they bite the best.

We hope (depending on the weather) we get the boat in this weekend.

Zap

jensent said:
Here in Illinois Cherry is a fruit tree. It doesn't look at all like the tree you are calling Cherry. Can you give us more info?
Tom

I call it Black Cherry and it does drop small cherries that the animals love.

Zap

Often called (erroniously) choke cherry here or wild cherry, black cherry has a nice red heartwood. I think it smells nice - others don't. Birds like the berries. My car's windshield and paint doesn't. (at least not after the birds have eaten them)
The tent caterpillars tend to prefer the black cherry, too. Although we haven't had any noticable populations of them for the last few years. They also supposedly harbor a black knot fungus that my plum trees get, so I cut cherries down any chance I get.

Not to derail this thread Zap, but do you ever have problems with that trailer accidentally dumping itself. Last weekend I borrowed my buddy's ATV and trailer (similar to your own trailer) and a few times it would dump on me . . . specifically if I did not load more of the weight towards the front of the trailer and was going over rough terrain.

firefighterjake said:
Not to derail this thread Zap, but do you ever have problems with that trailer accidentally dumping itself. Last weekend I borrowed my buddy's ATV and trailer (similar to your own trailer) and a few times it would dump on me . . . specifically if I did not load more of the weight towards the front of the trailer and was going over rough terrain.

Not yet Jake, I did notice in the winter if you get some ice buildup in that area it will unlatch. I keep the ice scrapper with me in the winter and never had a problem yet. I will throw a picture up tonight of how it latches.

Zap

billb3 said:
Often called (erroniously) choke cherry here or wild cherry, black cherry has a nice red heartwood. I think it smells nice - others don't. Birds like the berries. My car's windshield and paint doesn't. (at least not after the birds have eaten them)
The tent caterpillars tend to prefer the black cherry, too. Although we haven't had any noticable populations of them for the last few years. They also supposedly harbor a black knot fungus that my plum trees get, so I cut cherries down any chance I get.

Excellent description of the cherry. We've always liked cherry to burn too and usually have some every year. Also, lots of wildlife feed off the cherry trees. It is not at all uncommon to find coons in the cherry trees even in the daylight hours. Deer also love the fruit. The fruit does not last long around here even though we have a goodly amount of cherry.

Zap, that is some fine looking wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.