Cherry all day long!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
My wife decided she wanted to work around the house instead of going out in the boat so I went back in the woods. Bucked up 3 nice size cherry plus one smaller cherry then hauled out 3 loads. I started my cut towards the top of the tree and they popped up in the air for some easy cutting, attached are some pictures.

Bucked up 120 rounds out of the three biggest cherry trees.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0917.jpg
    100_0917.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 484
  • 100_0918.jpg
    100_0918.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 515
  • 100_0919.jpg
    100_0919.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 485
  • 100_0920.jpg
    100_0920.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 504
  • 100_0921.jpg
    100_0921.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 486
PA. Woodsman said:
Good stuff as usual, Zap. You sure are one ambitious fella!

I'm a tree saver what can I say, just want to get them before they rot.

zap

I just bucked up a cherry myself today that was in the way of a new trail I am putting in. Fortuneatley I had my bobcat because it got hung up in the tree tops, I put a chain on it and had the bobcat back up and it came right down. It would have been a pain otherwise. That is sweet when they pop up that way, easy on the back and no worries about pinching or hitting dirt. I like cherry for the fast dry, good smell, a good wood for most fires except when you need the serious heat.

GolfandWoodNut said:
I just bucked up a cherry myself today that was in the way of a new trail I am putting in. Fortuneatley I had my bobcat because it got hung up in the tree tops, I put a chain on it and had the bobcat back up and it came right down. It would have been a pain otherwise. That is sweet when they pop up that way, easy on the back and no worries about pinching or hitting dirt. I like cherry for the fast dry, good smell, a good wood for most fires except when you need the serious heat.

I agree when it gets real cold we go with the hard maple or beech.

zap

My buddy with the acreage has another Cherry tree for me, standing dead. These are often near ready to burn right after splitting. I have a small stack of Cherry rounds from a previous batch I got there. I'm just about to go on a two day splitting binge, and split something like 5-6 cords+ (mostly Red Oak) all at once. Bet that particular Cherry is near seasoned enough right after splitting. The rounds show lots of splits and checks already. BTW he now tells me that that one was probably more like 4 years standing dead. Cherry is near as good as Oak, IMO. Love the stuff.

Cluttermagnet said:
My buddy with the acreage has another Cherry tree for me, standing dead. These are often near ready to burn right after splitting. I have a small stack of Cherry rounds from a previous batch I got there. I'm just about to go on a two day splitting binge, and split something like 5-6 cords+ (mostly Red Oak) all at once. Bet that particular Cherry is near seasoned enough right after splitting. The rounds show lots of splits and checks already. BTW he now tells me that that one was probably more like 4 years standing dead. Cherry is near as good as Oak, IMO. Love the stuff.

I never had Oak (not one on the property)but when it gets cold I would choose hard maple & beech.

Zap

zapny said:

Your selflessness is truly admirable.

With all that cherry (& the obvious love for running saws) you should have a small log mill for that 390. It'll be another great excuse for you to be out in the woods.

boostnut said:
With all that cherry (& the obvious love for running saws) you should have a small log mill for that 390. It'll be another great excuse for you to be out in the woods.

Good timing, I called my local stihl dealer last Friday and asked him if the 390 would handle that and was told I would melt it real quick.

Zap

zapny said:
boostnut said:

Good timing, I called my local stihl dealer last Friday and asked him if the 390 would handle that and was told I would melt it real quick.

Zap

hes right I was afraid to mill with my 460.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
boostnut said:

Zap

Smokin what size saw would you need and how much would that saw run.

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
boostnut said:

Zap

Smokin what size saw would you need and how much would that saw run.

Zap

I have an 880 1650.00 you could pull it of with a 660 timber in the wood is smaller about 1100.00 you would want to mills one for milling about 200.00 and one for edgeing (about 100.00 mini mill) your 390 would handle that with no issues. 2 mill set up is the way to go.

Cluttermagnet said:

Clutter I saw your post on the red oak looks great, you have to go on a splitting binge and I have to go on a stacking binge but first I have some clean up to do in those areas I'm stacking in. My best estimate is about 14 f/c I have that needs stacking which is mostly beech some hard maple. Then the cherry I'm working on.

Zap

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:

Your selflessness is truly admirable.

I saved some nice basswood for you, I'm all heart. ;-)

Zap

Hmm, I was under the impression that the wood you typically get involved with was of smaller size and the 390 would be adequate. You could do what i did, patiently watch c-list until the right used saw and/or mill comes along. I picked up a really nice 075 and a 36" alaskan mill this spring for much, much less than the 1K+ price tags jay metioned.

OR you could use this as an excuse to get rid of the 390 boat anchor and trade it in on a new 660. It is the preffered milling saw over on arborist site.

zapny said:
I saved some nice basswood for you, I'm all heart. ;-)

If it weren't for the 50 mile rule, I'd be all over it.

boostnut said:
Hmm, I was under the impression that the wood you typically get involved with was of smaller size and the 390 would be adequate. You could do what i did, patiently watch c-list until the right used saw and/or mill comes along. I picked up a really nice 075 and a 36" alaskan mill this spring for much, much less than the 1K+ 660 price tags jay metioned.

OR you could use this as an excuse to get rid of the 390 boat anchor and trade it in on a new 660. It is the preffered milling saw over on arborist site.

660 would run a 30in.mill and wood up to 26in. log.

boostnut said:
Hmm, I was under the impression that the wood you typically get involved with was of smaller size and the 390 would be adequate. You could do what i did, patiently watch c-list until the right used saw and/or mill comes along. I picked up a really nice 075 and a 36" alaskan mill this spring for much, much less than the 1K+ price tags jay metioned.

If I ever get in milling any of the wood I will go with the bigger 660 but has of today I'll keep milling for the Lopi Liberty. :coolgrin:

Zap

Jay, do you spend any time over at arboristsite on the milling forum? Guys over there are blowing those figures out of the water. I think you're under estimating the 660.

Status
Not open for further replies.