cherry and walnut score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Got some already bucked rounds that have sat a few months. Had 1 round of mulberry mixed in also. Haven't burned much cherry, looking forward to grilling with some. Split and stacked all but 10 gnarly pieces. Some of the cherry was harder to split than I expected. Very light, the S-10 handled the full load easily.

Attachments

• IMAG1774.jpg
    IMAG1774.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMAG1778.jpg
    IMAG1778.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMAG1781.jpg
    IMAG1781.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 134
Cherry is my go-to when it comes to smoking / grilling.

This recipe is about as simple as it comes for grilling a whole chicken, but it is wonderful... I used cherry for the smoke http://www.dadcooksdinner.com/2011/09/grilled-butterflied-chicken-with-dry.html

Here is what mine looked like

10469702_694791523890981_4630464901715395467_n.jpg

Cherry is more of a medium density wood, but it dries fast, always has worked fine for me in the stove, and has the added benefit of being great with food.

Last edited:
Reactions: osagebow
Cherry is my go-to when it comes to smoking / grilling.

This recipe is about as simple as it comes for grilling a whole chicken, but it is wonderful... I used cherry for the smoke http://www.dadcooksdinner.com/2011/09/grilled-butterflied-chicken-with-dry.html

Here is what mine looked like

10469702_694791523890981_4630464901715395467_n.jpg

Cherry is more of a medium density wood, but it dries fast, always has worked fine for me in the stove, and has the added benefit of being great with wood.
Das one tasty lookin' bird!! I'll takes 2 and an some fries please!

Reactions: pen
That's one fine lookin' bird! Looking forward to trying that.

Reactions: pen
Be sure to burn some cherry in the stove also. Nice aroma when you open the stove door or outside.

Be sure to burn some cherry in the stove also. Nice aroma when you open the stove door or outside.

I certainly do! But never for what you mention,,,, only time I use it for what it smells like is to put a few pieces on the charcoal to make chicken as seen above or when smoking kielbasa.

I love wood smoke, when cooking. I'll be damned if my house ever smells of it.

I can't tell you the number of times I've had friends come to the house and say, as they walk through the door...."I thought you burned wood?" Just to have me point down the stairwell from the foyer they entered to gaze at the hot stove......

To me, if wood burning is done right, the house should not smell any different than if it were heated with electric or propane, nat gas, fuel oil, etc.

The exceptions being on that start-up fire that doesn't go right, got in a rush and turned things down too quickly, had to open the door up during the active part of the fire to re-adjust a log that wasn't placed right in the first place, etc.....

pen

I certainly do! But never for what you mention,,,, only time I use it for what it smells like is to put a few pieces on the charcoal to make chicken as seen above or when smoking kielbasa.

I love wood smoke, when cooking. I'll be damned if my house ever smells of it.

I can't tell you the number of times I've had friends come to the house and say, as they walk through the door...."I thought you burned wood?" Just to have me point down the stairwell from the foyer they entered to gaze at the hot stove......

To me, if wood burning is done right, the house should not smell any different than if it were heated with electric or propane, nat gas, fuel oil, etc.

The exceptions being on that start-up fire that doesn't go right, got in a rush and turned things down too quickly, had to open the door up during the active part of the fire to re-adjust a log that wasn't placed right in the first place, etc.....

pen
I agree. That "minimal smoke" smells good even in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.