Cherry cut.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Cherrytocut.gif

This is a pair of small cherry trees that were taken out to make room for the chipper. I was keeping busy indoors because I have some pressing things to take care of but just had to get out in this warmer air. No sun but we got into the low 40's so it was really nice weather to cut. I'd like to get the downed stuff done before they get covered with snow and this was easy picking. Did not take long at all to cut it up and got almost 2 loads from it. Next is probably the oaks or I also have some maple down that needs tending to.

looks like fun dennis. happy cutting.

Good work. Nice cutting on trees that have all the limbs stripped off allready. This weather is amazing, my wife will go into a DEEP state of depression if we don't have snow for X-mas. LOL I love it, just means extended scrounge time . :)

Nice score there Dennis. I was out there this afternoon and the temps were perfect for wood cutting and hauling to the truck!

Backwoods Savage said:
This is a pair of small cherry trees that were taken out to make room for the chipper. I was keeping busy indoors because I have some pressing things to take care of but just had to get out in this warmer air. No sun but we got into the low 40's so it was really nice weather to cut. I'd like to get the downed stuff done before they get covered with snow and this was easy picking. Did not take long at all to cut it up and got almost 2 loads from it. Next is probably the oaks or I also have some maple down that needs tending to.

Looks good Sav, when do you start using the dray?

gibir

Zap, we'll use the dray when we get some milling logs, which won't be too long but in no hurry. If firewood only, then we use the trailer rather than the dray.

Good picture.
2 loads, what size were the loads? ATV trailer?
Have fun :)

Right Dave. The atv trailer, the one pictured below. I get 3 rows and stack above the sideboards. If memory is right it take around 3 loads for a cord of wood. Or maybe it is 4. My thinker is offline at present.

Splittingpile12-29a.jpg

Looks like we'll have some rain tonight and again tomorrow, temps in the 30's so we're burning some bags of pellets this week.

zap

Calling for rain here the next 2 days, possibly mixed with snow and maybe some thunder. Thursday they say a high of 51 with rain in morning and with rain/snow in afternoon. Friday high of 33. Some changes coming.

Nice pile of wood,
That's a "Horizontal splitting" stack. Waist high, no bending on most of it, then vertical for the bottom row :)
Maybe we'll get you to use the splitter horizontal yet (other than when towed) :)

We had rain Sunday, then Sunday, then Sunday night it turned to snow, 4 - 5" of wet snow, wind from the SW.
Water in the ATV tracks when I drive thru it, then froze. More Yuk.
Teens to high 20 for the week, back to "the norm"

Nasty weather up there Dave. It's coming here tomorrow. Even possible freezing rain tonight. No horizontal here but that cherry was some easy cutting with only a very few limbs to contend with. Didn't take long at all.

Backwoods Savage said:
Nasty weather up there Dave. It's coming here tomorrow. Even possible freezing rain tonight. No horizontal here but that cherry was some easy cutting with only a very few limbs to contend with. Didn't take long at all.

Well you want to start slow & work into the woodcutting season. If you hit it hard the first few days, you may not be motivated to keep going.
Ibuprofen is your friend. :)

Can't take that stuff as I have very little stomach left. I do take Celebrex daily though along with too many other pills. And yes, the first few days of wood cutting I do take it really easy. I had not planned on cutting today but just all of a sudden felt like doing it. Just a short trip from the house via atv and very quickly got the 2 loads. Didn't tire me either so now maybe I'm ready to tackle a longer job.

I got a nice cherry yesterday. Was quite surprise to the weight that sucker had. That or I am just wearing down. (Ran a cord and a half) Need a 2 cord Sunday.

Dennis, for that trailer, I'd say your first estimate of 3 loads/cord is good.
My poly/whatever trailer needs to be filled 4 times if I throw it and 3 if I stack neat and overfill a bit, and mine looks to be a bit smaller than that one.
It's always a nice feeling to get more wood bucked up and cleared, knowing it won't start getting punky. Good job, but no rush, eh?

Right Dave. It rained almost all day here so I won't be cutting for a couple days now. I hope it cools down a bit too as it would be nice to get some frost into the ground. Yes, we do have some but not a lot.

Not much ice around here yet. I did laugh though when the road grader came a couple days ago. Rather than grading the whole road they were just trying to fill in the holes. Where there are shady spots the just could not bite into the frost even with the teeth on the blade. So, we still have holes in the road and they will be there until Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.