Cherry Down for my New Years Day Bang, 6 More to Go

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

golfandwoodnut

Minister of Fire
Well it took me a couple of days to get my nerve up, and clear my escape route, etc. Things went pretty much as planned although the straight cut is a little higher than I like. Smokin Jay and you boys can critique. You will notice in the first photo I had a straight cut coming in a couple of inches lower but as I analyzed, it appeared it may be coming in a little low(Perhaps going ever so slightly down). So I decided to move up a couple of inches. Also on the side with the spikes sticking up was on the far side of where I was cutting and my 20 inch bar could have been a bit longer. I did not want to end my cut on that side because I did not have an escape route on that side. In landed pretty much where I hoped and I was pleased with that because the trunk had a few bows in it and made it a little awkward figuring exactly where it would land.

As you can see in the pictures the Carpenter ants have done some damage, time will tell how far up they got. There still appears to be alot of good wood in there. I imagine when the saw mills take cherry trees they often deal with carpenter ant damage as they seem to love cherry trees.

Attachments

• cherry1.jpg
    cherry1.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 271
  • cherry2.jpg
    cherry2.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 247
  • cherry3.jpg
    cherry3.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 248
GolfandWoodNut said:
Well it took me a couple of days to get my nerve up, and clear my escape route, etc. Things went pretty much as planned although the straight cut is a little higher than I like. Smokin Jay and you boys can critique. You will notice in the first photo I had a straight cut coming in a couple of inches lower but as I analyzed, it appeared it may be coming in a little low(Perhaps going ever so slightly down). So I decided to move up a couple of inches. Also on the side with the spikes sticking up was on the far side of where I was cutting and my 20 inch bar could have been a bit longer. I did not want to end my cut on that side because I did not have an escape route on that side. In landed pretty much where I hoped and I was pleased with that because the trunk had a few bows in it and made it a little awkward figuring exactly where it would land.

As you can see in the pictures the Carpenter ants have done some damage, time will tell how far up they got. There still appears to be alot of good wood in there. I imagine when the saw mills take cherry trees they often deal with carpenter ant damage as they seem to love cherry trees.

GolfandWoodNut, nice drop and you will have some nice fires from that tree. It seems when I drop whats left of a blow down my back cut is high.

zap

Nice cut there. I see 2" planks for workbench tops,air-dried 7-8 yrs in barn loft. ;-)

Golf, that will make you some excellent firewood. I wish we had some cherry of that size here. btw, do you know why it dropped to the right of where you wanted? See that small area on the far right of the cut that hung on to the tree? That is the culprit and you can use that knowledge in the future when you want to drop a tree a bit different from what it wants to do but be very careful.

Dennis, I am with you. I said in my comment I did not want to finish on the far side of the tree because I did not have an escape route over there, also a little more weight with the branches on that side. I am buying a bigger saw today a Stihl 660 and I should be able to get through the really big trees now without going halfways. Although the bigger the tree the bigger the fear factor. I am not sure why because a little tree can hurt you too. I do alot of planning before I drop the big ones.

yooperdave said:
judging from the size sawdust in the pic, sure looks like your chain needs to be sharpened!

I did sharpen right before cutting (by hand) and I was able to drop the tree in about 20 minutes(most of that time was planning) so I think it was OK. Today I cut a bunch of the top and the chips were big. After 2 tanks I sharpened again and it cut great.

I know it looked a little dusty on the stump.

By the way my deal fell through on the 660, the guy called while I was driving out and told me someone bought it.

Hummm Golf. That 20 minutes has me thinking. Why do you suppose it took that long?

You beat me before I updated the post dennis, most of the time was planning. Another thing that takes time is when you are going halfway with the saw.

Proper planning is always a good thing! As you gain experience you'll find it easier but never cut corners as that is how folks get into trouble. Methinks you done well Golf.

Ok, you guys are making me take a few more pictures, which I do not mind. The first pic is showing wood chips right before I cut the cherry down, I first cut some branches. The chips are wet but I think you can see they are pretty big. I did notice some dusting on the stump, do you guys get both large and small chips while you cut, that seems to be what I was getting.

The second picture shows what I cut right before the Steeler game. Third picture show some more chips still on the same sharpening. The Final picture shows some of the nice cherry wood. Still debating if I am going to try to sell some logs or make firewood. No ant damage here and it looks like really nice wood. Almost ashame to not make some lumber out of it.

Attachments

• chips1.jpg
    chips1.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 175
  • chips2.jpg
    chips2.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 169
  • chips3.jpg
    chips3.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 152
  • chips4.jpg
    chips4.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 190
Beautiful. :coolsmile: Just curious,what is the diameter & length of the main log in last pic? Do you know of any woodturners in your immediate area? They might be interested in short straight logs 12" or bigger diameter,up to 2-3 ft long.Cut off a 3" thick slab away from the heart,then cut it into a disc,sealing the edges with Anchorseal or melted paraffin to store for 3-4 yrs.Whenever I'm cutting firewood or out in the woods I'm always looking out for anything that can used in the future.

Hi Thistle, the wood in the final picture is about 23 inches across as I cannot get my 20 inch saw across it without working it a little. I cut a section into about a 10 foot straight log today and have another probably 20 feet I am trying to decide where to cut and what to do with it. I do not know any wood turners. I do know one guy who works alot of wood, but I am not sure what he would do with logs this big. Perhaps a couple of small pieces may be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.