Cherry Off The Hill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
The cutting went great plus my luck changed some, the area the Cherry was in was pretty flat for the side of the hill. The Cherry was off the ground so all the rounds are good, the closer I got towards the stump the more of a mess it was on the ground so there is another 10 rounds I'll need to cut this spring.

I hauled two loads home for a total of 30 rounds, once the wind stops blowing the snow out of the pines I'll split it. About nine of the thirty rounds got hung up on a stump when I was rolling them down the hill, just added more work to the project but they are all off the hill, attached are some pictures.

Pic 4406 is the Cherry from the top of the trail, 4407 & 08 are after the bucking of the Cherry, 4409 & 10 are the trail for rolling down the rounds before & after, pic 4417 & 18 are the first and second loads.

GIBIR

Attachments

• 100_4406.jpg
    100_4406.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 100_4407.jpg
    100_4407.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 257
  • 100_4408.jpg
    100_4408.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 100_4409.jpg
    100_4409.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 100_4410.jpg
    100_4410.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 256
  • 100_4417.jpg
    100_4417.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 100_4418.jpg
    100_4418.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 250
Nice job keeping the woods clean, lol. Nice to see some snow on the ground as we haven't had any yet this year and I hope it holds off until after the first of the year for us.

certified106 said:
Nice job keeping the woods clean, lol. Nice to see some snow on the ground as we haven't had any yet this year and I hope it holds off until after the first of the year for us.

Looks like we have a weather event moving in this week, check your area. We have another cherry that is down that I plan on getting next week, Sunday will be another day of splitting,stacking then filling the racks in the cellar.

Thanks
GIBIR

Looks like you had fun zap. Great pics, sure looks nice in the woods with a little white stuff around you. :)

No trespassers today? Did you get that splitter fixed yet, you know the one pointing to the sky?

wishlist said:
Looks like you had fun zap. Great pics, sure looks nice in the woods with a little white stuff around you. :)

No trespassers today? Did you get that splitter fixed yet, you know the one pointing to the sky?

Not that I could see or hear. Do you split all your wood horizontal?

zap

I think he is just picking a bit zap.

I had a pin oak that was on the side of a hill (not as big as your hills) that I cut this week as I wanted to get it when there was no snow. I've slipped too many times and hurt the back bad so just won't cut when there is a chance for slipping. Besides, with 2 store bought hip joints, the body just doesn't move like it used to so I like the bare ground for those jobs.

Nice pics. How much snow you got right now? Look like a great day.

Backwoods said:
Nice pics. How much snow you got right now? Look like a great day.

At the most we have three inches, looking at the weather for this coming week it won't last long.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
I think he is just picking a bit zap. Yep, was just wondering how he splits, we just might send him to SAV School of Vertical Splitting. :zip: SSOVS

I had a pin oak that was on the side of a hill (not as big as your hills) that I cut this week as I wanted to get it when there was no snow. I've slipped too many times and hurt the back bad so just won't cut when there is a chance for slipping. Besides, with 2 store bought hip joints, the body just doesn't move like it used to so I like the bare ground for those jobs.

If it would not have ben flat in that area then it would have stayed until spring. I did have some ice cleats on that they use for ice fishing, helps out but the twigs and branches kept getting caught in them the closer I got to the stump end.

Beautiful winter scene Zap. Can't say I mind waiting to see it after what we had by this time last year though.

No trespassers today? Did you get that splitter fixed yet, you know the one pointing to the sky?[/quote]

zap[/quote]

Like SAV said, I was just picking zap. I know you and sav split vertical and I do on large rounds as well. As long as we work smart , this wood stuff is labor intensive, the outcome is all that matters. I always think to myself after this wood seasons for a few years , its all worth it.

Funny thing happened today as I was splitting the oak. My daughter (17) came out to the wood pile and said, " dad you have enough wood until I die." I laughed and then she ask "after college when I get a place of my own I'm getting a wood stove too". Guess I better keep cutting! :)

wishlist said:

zap[/quote]

Like SAV said, I was just picking zap. I know you and sav split vertical and I do on large rounds as well. As long as we work smart , this wood stuff is labor intensive, the outcome is all that matters. I always think to myself after this wood seasons for a few years , its all worth it.

Funny thing happened today as I was splitting the oak. My daughter (17) came out to the wood pile and said, " dad you have enough wood until I die." I laughed and then she ask "after college when I get a place of my own I'm getting a wood stove too". Guess I better keep cutting! :)[/quote]

It's great heat thats for sure, better get cutting, your daughter will be out of college before you know it. With the smaller rounds I'll split horizontal but most of the splitting is vertical.

zap

wishlist said:

zap[/quote]

Funny thing happened today as I was splitting the oak. My daughter (17) came out to the wood pile and said, " dad you have enough wood until I die." I laughed and then she ask "after college when I get a place of my own I'm getting a wood stove too". Guess I better keep cutting! :)[/quote]

Enjoy those kids while they are still at home. Time really runs short and they are gone before you know what's happened. Where has the time gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.