Cherry or birch or something else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vande111

Nov 17, 2023
NW CT
We cut down some trees at work and no one knows if it’s cherry or birch. Depending on what it is I’ll either plank it up for a table or split it for some nice wood for the next winter or two. Hopefully someone can help id it for us.

IMG_3837.jpeg IMG_3836.jpeg

Whatever it is, the Vine crawling up it looks like Poison Ivy

Like said about the bark ..... cherry. The standing pic of tree ...... cherry.
The fresh cut has me 2nd guessing. Still looks like cherry but not black cherry.
I do not think this is birch at all from the bark although the fresh cut does look a bit like black birch .... kinda.

I'm leaning heavily towards cherry.

Reactions: vande111
Like said about the bark ..... cherry. The standing pic of tree ...... cherry.
The fresh cut has me 2nd guessing. Still looks like cherry but not black cherry.
I do not think this is birch at all from the bark although the fresh cut does look a bit like black birch .... kinda.

I'm leaning heavily towards cherry.
Thanks, there are some black birch trees around that area that i also cut down. Like you said, the wood looks similar but they didnt have mutiple trunks from one root base so we weren't sure. Cherry is definitely what i was hoping for

Reactions: all night moe
Drive it up here. I'll inspect it and burn some, let you know how it does. Just to be sure.