Cherry pits, how are they to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jo2fst4u

Dec 4, 2006
I can get my hands on some Cherry pits and would like to know if they are good. or the pro's and cons with them.

My stove

Earth Stove 35-50
Pellets/corn

Attachments

• Stove 002.jpg
    Stove 002.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 661
Im not sure, but I do know that some corn stoves claim to burn them. I would think its no different than a small piece of wood. Those pits are hard, and if you can do it, I would try it. Im curious on how they would burn. If you can get a supply of them, go for it.

When you say you can get your hands on cherry pits.....just how many are at your disposal . I am having a hard time imagining a couple tons of pits and who would be getting rid of them. Trees fall,get removed for construction , get blown down in storms etc. but, tons of cherry pits .....just wondering
Mike

I think of the cans of cherry pie filling, maraschino cherries, and even chocolate covered cherries as coming from factories where there is a pit poker outer machine and on the otherside of that pit poker outer is a pile of pits. I imagine there needs to be a drying process though so it is a value added project.

We have a lot of cherries in Washington and there are factories for this kind of stuff.

Well ican tell you this much they smell nice and they seem to be pretty hot, I picked up five 40lbs bags today, I put 20lbs in the hopper with wood pelletts and corn Mixed it all up LOL and it's Hot.

as far as getting Tons the guy said i can get as much as i need he has 9 tons right now. they are clean and bagged @$4.05 for a 40lbs bag. see pic as to what they look like.

Jeff

Attachments

• Stove 011.jpg
    Stove 011.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 549
  • Stove 012.jpg
    Stove 012.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 531
what about moisture content and drying considerations?

They are verry Dry, I dont have the numbers on them but you can tell they are dry. I smashed a few with a hammer and they were dust, these are bagged and sold for burrning in Corn stoves. so far so good. I dont plan on useing them only bit i like to mix Pellets and Corn so why not throw some pits in....LOL

When I burned them as a pellet mix in a Pellet master YEARS ago
the ash was light wieght but lots of it in Large Cigar ash like flakes.

Burned hot.
The Dole plant in the Stockton California area had piles of them
all you had to do was shuvle them into your truck and they were free.

Yet another item that used to be trucked to a landfill being sold for heating purposes.

I bet some old sap that used to take home a few ton every year at the factory of the cherry pitter outer plant is pissed :)

I've had the same idea but don't have an auger fed stove.

I saved a few quarts, of pits (here near Traverse City "Cherry Capital of the World"), dried them and tossed 'em in. They burn very well indeed.

Just wish I had the right kind of stove and could get my hands on enough of them in a bag (haven't looked too much).

Aye,
Marty

hearthtools said:
When I burned them as a pellet mix in a Pellet master YEARS ago
the ash was light wieght but lots of it in Large Cigar ash like flakes.

Burned hot.
The Dole plant in the Stockton California area had piles of them
all you had to do was shuvle them into your truck and they were free.

Sounds like a niche business to get into. Combine the pits with the huge piles of almond shells and you have a great product. You could call it, "Fruit and Nuts to Burn" Let the reader make their own final comment. Chance for Dylan and others to dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.