Cherry Pits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdphilps

I've read a few times that you can burn cherry pits in pellet stoves.

Has anyone ever burnt cherry pits before?

How do you like them? BTUs? Ash content? Ever get stuck in an auger?

Thanks in advance!!

Anton Smirnov said:
Where would you get Cherry pits in bulk?

I know that down south, people burn peanut hulls in their stoves, but that's a local thing (try getting peanut hulls in the NE).

Michigan
http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1570_2468_2471-13553--,00.html

A friend of a friend (so for what its worth) I know lives in Michigan and burns cherry pits, says the auger and auger tube wears out a little faster then with pellets, otherwise works fine. I think he is using a furnace not a stove.

I have burned them in a pellet master
They have high ash but burn As hot as pellets.
A 50/50 mix is better.
I would only try it in a bottom fed system that has a heavy duty auger.
TOP FEED WOULD JAM.

I have not burned em, but yes, while not as popular as a pellets or corn, I have heard of folks burning them. Lots of cherry trees here in michigan. They can have the pits, I'll take the wood. KD

I'll take the cherries, love 'em!

cherry pits hive a slightly higher BTU release than pellets , but they do release acids wnich will degrade firepots and flue systems in some cases if used long term, i would say use of them is ok , in short term , but would not recommend them for every day use unless the unit has a stainless steel burn pot. even with that i would be wary.

mike esw

The bixby will burn them. Their auger is vertical feed but it's a ferris wheel design that doesn't allow fuel that is too large to enter the chute. This makes it so that if a corn cob or something gets in the hopper it will just bounce around until noticed and removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.