Cherry/Sav's Call

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
It's hard to tell by the picture but this cherry had a heavy lean out of the woods toward the trail, had to cut a small sugar maple first that was in front of the cherry.

After taking care of the sugar maple I notched the cherry then started the back cut, 1/4 of the way in I could here the cracking with the tree starting to move so I was out of there. I took two loads of cherry out today, attached are some pictures.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4311.jpg
    100_4311.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 359
  • 100_4316.jpg
    100_4316.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 363
  • 100_4317.jpg
    100_4317.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 356
  • 100_4319.jpg
    100_4319.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 348
  • 100_4320.jpg
    100_4320.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 371
  • 100_4328.jpg
    100_4328.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 378
  • 100_4330.jpg
    100_4330.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 377
  • 100_4322.jpg
    100_4322.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 381
Thats a nasty one.

smokinjay said:
Thats a nasty one.

Yea, I was worried about the tree barber chairing, had the 660 with the 28 inch bar (I was wrong yesterday, I think I said 25) which gave me some extra reach. When Sav was up he did say get it before the tree gets to dangerous.

zap

scotvl said:
great work Zap. what a playground you have there, nice toys too.

Thanks scotvl. I usually only grab what is down but feel better about dropping some of the unsafe trees.

zap

Good work Zap those hollow trees can be dangerous..

Ray

Nice job Zap! Oh yeah & btw, I ain't too proud to run from those suckers when they make bad noises either. I've saved myself some pain more than once I think. A C

Those hollow ones can sneak up on you.
Always have a few planned escape routes. :)
Nice load of wood.

Mid June 2011. Not as bad as I originally thought.At least it was leaning where I wanted lol.Was a twin Red Oak snag,had to cut each half about 5 ft up,lower trunk was much was weaker.

Attachments

• old hollow redoak snag61611.jpg
    old hollow redoak snag61611.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 287
Thistle said:
Mid June 2011. Not as bad as I originally thought.At least it was leaning where I wanted lol.Was a twin Red Oak snag,had to cut each half about 5 ft up,lower trunk was much was weaker.

Looks like a nasty one Thistle.

zap

raybonz, you have a good idea whats going to happen but you are never sure how quick you will here that crack, turned out good.

amateur cutter, the 28 inch bar gave me a few steps, I'm with you on hittin the escape route.

bogydave, I'm happy with the amount of rounds for the weekend, looks like splitting & stacking tomorrow then pushing in some wood later on.

zap

Zap, did you find any ants in that nasty thing?

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, did you find any ants in that nasty thing?

Not one ant Sav, I was very surprised.

zap

Cherry around here is notorious for being hollow and/or ant infested. Woodpeckers have been pounding the snot out of 'em lately as well.

Cherry here often doesn't live to a ripe old age until it starts to rot . . . not sure why that is.

MasterMech said:
Cherry around here is notorious for being hollow and/or ant infested. Woodpeckers have been pounding the snot out of 'em lately as well.

Same here. The bigger they are the heavier the top gets....and the softer the bottom gets. Can get interesting when felling them....they let loose all of a sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.