Cherry scrounge jackpot!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turn_n_burn

Burning Hunk
Aug 14, 2015
Idaho
God bless Craigslist. Just got home with over 2 pickup bed loads of dead cherry (including limbs and twigs, but a ton of good wood) an older couple wanted cut down and rid of. Lots of knuckled sections, but who the heck cares, right? A good half of the tree was dry as a bone, but it had a beautiful unchecked live trunk section with some beautiful curl that is getting saved for a couple gunstock blanks, the rest is going to fill my stove with some of nature's best perfume. Thanks to all who replied to my post needing scrounging advice, it has been super helpful, I have almost 3 cords of wood (some tulip poplar, yes, but lots of black locust and now cherry). I totally didn't even think of the best scrounge resource in southern Idaho.......orchards everywhere. Ill post some pics soon, my arms are like jelly right now.

Good for you man! :)
God bless Craigslist
I concur, I scored a sweet solid Oak coffee table for $40 today. It converts into a table via a top that pivots up on some arms/hinges.
Lots of knuckled sections, but who the heck cares, right?
A pain to deal with but you'll find the knuckles and crotches (the "ugly" stuff) burns the longest

Here are the pictures. Stuff split easier than dry lodgepole, couldn't believe it. I've been sniffing the splits for about an hour now. Also had an interesting shaped wedge that came off the cut where I leveled the stump. Only using a 14" Poulan, and I will still swear to my dying day that it is the best saw I ever used. As you can see, I love cheesy facial expressions. Please disregard that ugly cottonwood round, in my opinion it is only good as a chopping block.

Attachments

• 20150829_185841.jpeg
    20150829_185841.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 20150829_185933.jpeg
    20150829_185933.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 20150829_190700_1.jpeg
    20150829_190700_1.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
I once scored oodles of cherry because of a storm for free about 3 miles up the road. They were all down and easy to roll the dump truck up too in 4WD. I literally cut it up and chucked it into the bed.

Here's the bonus round. The old fellow had been cutting and stacking stuff for years into some vast neat piles before the storm. He said take that too if you want it. Big time score. All said and done I pulled out over 10 cords "free" of charge. just some time and diesel fuel. Most was already seasoned for many years.

Talk about a win-win! A score is a score in all reality, but sweet as hell when it's an easy close one. Enjoy that wood.

Yeah, that's a killer find bro! I'm gonna do a job in Boise in the next couple days taking down several younger, beetle-free Black Locusts, and the lady has a pile of it already stacked (about 4 cords with the trees), and another 3/4 cord of already cut and stacked Plum wood. Unbelievable what you can find on CL if you know how to search thru ads. I'm gonna have to stop scrounging this year. Running out of room. I'm gonna end up like those extreme hoarders on TV, 'cept my house will be filled with split wood and I'll be rolling in it like a Blue Heeler on a mound of dead catfish. Or a pig in sh-t, if you factor in how much I like firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.