Cherry Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Picked up a face cord of cherry last week and the seller indicated it has been cut and split for about 16 months. Most peices are about 18-21 inches long. Compared to some of my other stock...this stuff seems to weigh a ton! Is that normal for cherry?

When its dry its fairly light so my guess is it is not 16 months old or he just cut it into the short pieces orrr it is not cherry.

Not in our experience. The stuff we've C/S/S from the woods seemed by weight ALMOST as light as well seasoned soft maple. That's split & seasoned about 9 months.

NordicSplitter said:
Picked up a face cord of cherry last week and the seller indicated it has been cut and split for about 16 months. Most peices are about 18-21 inches long. Compared to some of my other stock...this stuff seems to weigh a ton! Is that normal for cherry?

We burn just over 3 cord of cherry per year, not much weight to it when dry but with all this rain we have received it would add some weight to it.

Zap

This seems strange to me as around here the cherry still has good weight when dried; certainly more weight than soft maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.