Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This Cherry was stacked 11-15-09, you can see how much it has checked over the winter. Stacked on the north east side.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0624.jpg
    100_0624.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 477
  • 100_0625.jpg
    100_0625.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 453
  • 100_0626.jpg
    100_0626.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 483
  • 100_0627.jpg
    100_0627.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 453
Zap - nice looking cherry. I bucked and split about five cord of white ash and cherry back in early February, and I can't believe how quickly the ends are opening up - the five cord are next years wood, so I'm liking the apparent fast dry time (I think the ash and cherry look better that the red oak I put up last fall.....). Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Zap - nice looking cherry. I bucked and split about five cord of white ash and cherry back in early February, and I can't believe how quickly the ends are opening up - the five cord are next years wood, so I'm liking the apparent fast dry time (I think the ash and cherry look better that the red oak I put up last fall.....). Cheers!

I'm going to make room so I can get about 20 face cord on that side, I'm looking forward to burning the Cherry plus some two year old Hard Maple,Beech plus one face cord of Ash for this coming heating season..

zap

My guess a lot of the checking has happened this spring, I have wood that was cut to length and split a month ago and it is checked that much and it is oak.

That's a fine looking stack you got there Zap. Looks like it should be ready this fall.

Excellent zap. You'll really appreciate that next winter. It should be a bit colder next winter than it was this year.

That checking is a beautiful sight, isn't it? I'm really liking Cherry as I get to know it.

Cluttermagnet said:
That checking is a beautiful sight, isn't it? I'm really liking Cherry as I get to know it.

Clutter I'm looking forward to choking down the air and getting longer burn times with dryer wood.

zap

I burn mostly cherry and love it. From what I've read oak will take to long to dry properly and I don't have the space to keep it. Luckily there is plenty of Cherry, Locust and Maple around me!

wood spliter said:
I burn mostly cherry and love it. From what I've read oak will take to long to dry properly and I don't have the space to keep it. Luckily there is plenty of Cherry, Locust and Maple around me!
If you have access to some dead oak you it will dry over the summer (march to November) and be good to go, how ever all dead oak is not created equal with some of it have much more moisture content than others. Some of the oak I cut now was from logging and it is green and will probably not be ready this fall.

Nice stack of Cherry! :)

Its honestly some great "Overnight wood" that's for sure...

oldspark said:
wood spliter said:
If you have access to some dead oak you it will dry over the summer (march to November) and be good to go, how ever all dead oak is not created equal with some of it have much more moisture content than others. Some of the oak I cut now was from logging and it is green and will probably not be ready this fall.
I do have access to dead oak. Before the spring storm I was cutting some from a burn out. Maybe after this weekends load I will get some more.

wood spliter said:
oldspark said:
wood spliter said:
I do have access to dead oak. Before the spring storm I was cutting some from a burn out. Maybe after this weekends load I will get some more.

That has been exactly my experience.
...however all dead oak is not created equal...
Yep. I've seen it still need a full year after splitting, and I've also seen it burn very well immediately after splitting. But by all means, if you can get your hands on some deadwood Oak, get it!

I guess I like it slightly more than Cherry. Slightly more BTU's per pound and better coaling.

I quartered some 20" or so Red Oak rounds back in August '09. The quarters were all split like that when I split and stacked it over the last few weeks. The middles of the splits were wet to the touch! Checking on the ends is not always an indication that the wood is seasoned. Cherry however is nothing like Oak and based on my experience, the Cherry should be ready to burn this fall.

maxed_out said:
Hey zap, hows the fishin? You get out yet?

Not yet maxed out, walleye season begins the first week in May thats when I plan to go how about you.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.