Cheshire Pellet Co.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradH70

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2011
South West NH
Has anyone tried pellets from Cheshire Pellet Co. in Fitzwilliam, NH? What were the results?

I drive by this place every day, to and from work. They are advertising pellets at $240 a ton. Not sure about delivery but since I am only about 8 miles driving distance from them I would give their pellets a try. Just wanted to see if anyone else has used them first.

Hey Brad. Love the new stove and the install. The mantle set up you have is awsome. I have heard nothing but good things about the M55. Very quiet and throws out amazing heat. What brand of pellets do they carry over there? $240 a ton is about the average this time of year.

Thanks CJ-SR4ever, we are very happy with the stove so far. My only complaint is the that the air wash system does not seem to be very effective on the lowest heat setting, which is were it has been for the past couple of days. I imagine that when it is running at a higher heat level, there will be more airflow inside the stove which will make the air wash system more effective.

I'm not sure about the quality of the Cheshire Pellets. The facilities are not that impressive and I don't see a lot of activity when I am driving by. I might give them a call and see if I can purchase pellets by the bag just to give them a try. Who knows, maybe they will give me a free bag just to try and get my business.

I'm hoping that prices/ton start to dip a bit within the next few weeks. I'd like to get my stash now and have it done with. There is a TSC getting ready to open up just a few miles from my house, maybe they will have some "Grand Opening" deals on pellets!

Where do you get your Cubex?

I would definately agree with you about the air wash. Im pretty sure when you are burning on a low setting the voltage to the combustion blower drops a little bit so it wont burn the pellets to quickly. I notice a similar issue with my montage. Burning on a high setting seems to keep the glass cleaner longer. I get my pellets from the brookline dealer. Love the cubex pellets, It is marked as Lauzon but it is the same company that makes cubex. Low ash and very good heat output. Im very interested to see where the price of pellets goes in the next few weeks.

Just left Cheshire Pellets. The owner, Jason, was kind enough to give me a couple bags to sample. He also was nice enough to show me around. He even stopped the line and opened up the mills press head to show me how it worked. I will burn the pellets tonight and take a few pics. If the product is half as good as the customer service then I'll be back for more.

That is fantastic. I am going to be doing some Xmas shopping today so maybe I will make a stop durring my rounds. Are they HW or SW pellets?

Well, so I just couldnt wait. I went over to cheshire pellets real quick to check them out. It is actually a decent operation. The bagging area is nice and clean and it is all a manual operation. Jason seems like an honest guy and he gave me two bags to try out. The pellets look nice and are a 90%/10% HW/SW mix. I will post some results in a couple of days.

BradH70 said:
Well, so I just couldnt wait. I went over to cheshire pellets real quick to check them out. It is actually a decent operation. The bagging area is nice and clean and it is all a manual operation. Jason seems like an honest guy and he gave me two bags to try out. The pellets look nice and are a 90%/10% HW/SW mix. I will post some results in a couple of days.

Sounds great! Definetly want to hear what you think of them!

Where is he getting his fiber? This usually will answer a few questions with quality concerns.

He did not say were he was getting the fiber from. He said that he gets truck loads of fiber in, sorts it and about 90% goes back out to the power company(s) the other 10% is used for the pellets. It's not a huge operation. There was probably 10 or 12 tons in the bagging area and a few more tons in a trailer outside of the bagging area. The pellets look and feel pretty decent. The size looks nice and consistent as well. Once I dump a bag in I will see how the fines are as well.

j-takeman said:
BradH70 said:

Sounds great! Definetly want to hear what you think of them!

Where is he getting his fiber? This usually will answer a few questions with quality concerns.

He told me he uses pallets. Grinds them up and sends them to the press, magnetically removes nails and staples. I'm on my second bag of these and I am impressed with the heat. It was in the 20's last night here and my house was 77 inside with stove on 3-9.

(this post belongs in a couple different threads so please excuse my redundancy) Cheshire Pellets- the good, the bad, and the drinks involved:
Cheshire Pelletsl:
The Pros:
-Very good heat. Tremendous Heat. Better than chow and paralelled Vermonts in terms of keeping my house warm on a cold night (20’s)
-Free sample to try.
-The best pellets are free pellets
-Very little ash in the ash pan

The Cons:
-Dirty, several hard deposits of black carbon-like ash in burnpot(clinkers?) after 2 full days running(please keep in mind that my stove has no agitator and this is fairly typically for most pellets in my stove. Although, I have honed in on several brands that this doesn’t happen with, such as chow and vermonts) Although the stove ran steady this “pile-up†is a negative factor for maintainence reasons, and left without attention would eventual exstinguish the flame or cause low heat output)
-Dusty. Fines. To the point that the auger is consumed with saw dust, thus reducing the feed rate

-Drinks consumed by poster while evaluating these pellets:
34, at least cuz I've spent two nights on the couch and the wife doesn't want to talk about it.

So will I buy more? Prob not. Not at the current prices. THis would be a killer pellet at 3.75 bag, but at 5 I will save my money.

Thanks Jason for the opportunity to try you pellet!

To others with more sophisticated stoves I would reccomend this pellet. If you have a multi fuel, then this pellet is for you. Anything with an agitator should chew this pellet up with more than average heat output.

Excellent feedback bd911. The two bags that I have are going in the hopper tomorrow morning. I want to borrow a temp probe from work before I run then so I can get an accurate measure of the heat output compared to the Okanagans. I will post my findings Tuesday.

My M55 is a multi-fuel and also has an agitator so maybe I will not have the same issues with the build up as you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.