Chesnut wood any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fsk2

Jul 2, 2009
buffalo ny
Buddy of mine is cutting down a chesnut tree and wondering if it wood is worth taking.
36" around base,

Thinking is not that good and will stick to going after willow.
Less work

Thanks

woodhog said:
Buddy of mine is cutting down a chesnut tree and wondering if it wood is worth taking.
36" around base,

Thinking is not that good and will stick to going after willow.
Less work

Thanks

Not. Are you being sarcastic? Chestnut is a first rate hard wood. Willow is hardly worth the effort to spell correctly, nevermind burning it. Skip the willow and tackle that massive chestnut and don't look back.

I hate to see that, chestnut trees seem very hard to find. I never see them anymore. For firewood, just take it since it's free.

Yeah, if times were different, I'd take that chestnut right to a sawmill, but it seems like the demand is gone these days.

Ive never burned it however all the graphs put it at fair, but smokey.

American chestnut, East of the Mississippi ?

This has got to be a Chinese Chestnut or European (Sweet) Chestnut, the only types that reach any significant size these days. These trees are usually highly branched starting low on the trunk, making them appear to be tough to process into firewood. i have never actually cut one up, but I have cut up trees of similar build and they sure are more work than tall, straight trees. i am sure Chestnut would burn, so i'd take the wood. Seems like it would be simiilar to walnuts - at least medium density, if not higher.
If this is a 36 inch diameter american chestnut, then it is a very rare tree and should be saved. i think there are a few places, outside the native range of american chestnut, where a few still survive to large size. Around here, solidly in the middle of american chestnut's range, it is had to find a stem more than about 3 or 4 inches diameter. there are a fair number of these small surviving american chestnuts, but no large ones.

I will have to take a picture of the trees on my property. I have been told by one person that they are walnut tree, and then by other people that they are chestnut. The are Huge trees maybe 5 or 6 of them, each well over 3ft in dia at the base. All I know is last fall I had the worst time cleaning up all the shells

Could be a Horse Chestnut. They are pretty common around my area. I think I have 4-5 on my property, and my neighbors have a HUGE one next to their driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.