Chestnut?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBall

Aug 11, 2007
Western North Carolina
Have a question for my Hearth.Com friends- a neighbor asked me to take down a Chinese Chestnut for him, and he gave me the wood. I have never burned chestnut before. Have 2 questions for anyone here who has burned this wood-
1. In general, how long does it take to season (1 yr. or so like maple, or 2 yrs. or so like oak).
2. In general how much heat can I expect from this wood (again btu in range of maple or btu in range of oak).

Appreciate any info.

I've only ever burned a small amount of chinese chestnut, seems to me that it seasons similarly to walnut or hard maple. Takes a year and a half or so for it to season good. It's about in the middle in the BTU charts, probably somewhere around walnut. Not really an overnighter wood, but it burns well.

I have burned R.R signal poles American chestnut. BTU the same as cherry, soft maple. lots of sparks.
Easy ID very crooked and you can't drive a staple in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.