Chestnuts on a Woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k9brain

Nov 16, 2010
Jersey Shore
Bought two pounds of chestnuts today to roast on an open fire. I was wondering how y'all roast chestnuts on a stove. I was thinking putting them on a piece of tin foil on the stovetop. How do you cook your chestnuts?

ozzy73 said:
I put them right on the stove top. Just watch the temperature....if stove is to hot 500 + they tend to burn.
15-20 min at 400 and they are done.

Yup, way I get em done ,too. I take a knife and X the hull before putting on the stove. Shell peels back and cooks them more evenly this way. Short supply season in this area, so you gotta enjoy them while u can get em.

Was just at the grocery today and they were selling little containers of them for 5$. I wanted some, but there weren't any cooking instructions on there so I didn't get them. Now I wish I had! Does anyone think they taste anywhere near as good as the ones the street vendors sell in NYC? Those are sooooo amazing.
I wish I knew somebody with a chestnut tree though. Those little containers cost more than they seem like they ought to!

Status
Not open for further replies.