Chicken of the Woods Delight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
I saw this on a neighbor's oak tree stump, and the neighbor offered it to me for my enjoyment:

images

Credit: commons.wikimedia.org

The Chicken of the Woods now is the 4th wild mushroom (others - morel, puffball, shaggy main) I have ventured to pick and eat. After the obligatory sampling and not suffering an episode of death, I made a pork chop and wild mushroom dinner for family. Absolutely delicious.

Nice! My wife is starting to get into gathering and identifying mushrooms. Just started this year,no rush to ingest anything yet. It's been nice though, one more thing to look for while walking in the woods.
Have a guided mushroom walk / hike in a couple weeks, should be informative.

Niiice...that's the species that got me into foraging. Oysters and maiatake (hen of the woods) are easy to ID and common wood mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.