chicken trimmings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amellefson

Jan 3, 2011
Southern WI
Has anyone out there ever rendered fat or made stock? I have five pounds? of chicken skin, fat, and meaty bones that I need to use. Never done it before. Looking for tips, advice, or stories.

Make stock on a daily bases. I could write it all out but looking online would be faster. simple to do just remember dont bring it to a boil, that is the key to nice clear stock.

I discovered a lazy but really effective method: stuff it all in a slow cooker/ electric crockpot, put in a bit of water (not enough to cover the stuff), cover, set it for low simmer, and leave it overnight. Next day, put it through a strainer. Yields wonderfully rich soup stock.

I make stock all the time. Put all the meat and bones in a large pot and cover with water. Add an onion or two, carrots, celery, thyme and garlic. No need to peel or top b/c it will be strained. Hard to say how much water to use as I don't know how much actual bone and meat you have. Bring it to a boil and then turn it down and barely simmer for a few hours. I usually taste it along the way to know when it is done. If it is too watery, just cook it down some.

When I make Chicken soup, I simmer the chicken for about an hour before taking it out of the pot along with the carrot, onion, celery, garlic and thyme. Then I pull the meat off and throw the bones back in for a few hours. Strain it all, add veggies and cook. Add chicken back in 15 minutes prior to serving. Add pasta or rice to individual bowls when serving. Sitting in the soup pot they swell too much for my liking.

It is all pretty simple really...

I use a pressure cooker. I put the carcass in the cooker, add carrots, halved onion, 3 celery stalks and fill with water almost to the top. Put it on the stovetop on high until the jiggler jiggles and simmer on low for 1/2 hr. After cooker is done cooling I strain all into a bowl and cover and put outside overnight to cool. Next day, I skim the fat off and stock is done. I pick the remainder of the meat off the carcass to add to soup.

I use the slow cooker also. good stuff.

fishingpol said:
Next day, I skim the fat off and stock is done.
The cooling overnight in the fridge an skimming off the fat is critical or it will be too greasy. Cold broth will be like jello.

Every time my wife and I make chicken we make soup. I put all the bones and the carcass in the crock pot and fill it with water. Next day we strain it, and anything in the fridge goes into the soup.

Skin and organ meat I cook and feed to the dog.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
I use the slow cooker also. good stuff.

fishingpol said:
Next day, I skim the fat off and stock is done.
The cooling overnight in the fridge an skimming off the fat is critical or it will be too greasy. Cold broth will be like jello.

I do the cold trick when I can but you really only need to skim the fat off the top with a ladle if you don't want to wait.

That jello-y stock is gelatin-like from the bones and cartilage being broken down. For most of us, it is desirable = more flavor and slightly thicker stock.

For beef/lamb I like to roast the bones. Maybe crust over the ends with some tomato paste so the marrow doesn't leak out and burn in the pan? I don't like celery in the stock, but yellow onions will give it an amazing color. Slight simmer, but never a boil.

Status
Not open for further replies.