Child safety

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pen said:
Why are domestic animals as "toddlers" smarter than the domesticator's equivalent? Why are our kids so "weak" for so long?
Regardless, food for thought.

One prevailing idea is that our large brains=large skulls which run up against the limiting factor of pelvis size in women, particularly a pelvis that supports upright posture and bipedal locomotion. The readers digest version is that, when comparing our species to others of a similar life span, gestation should be ~2yrs. Homonid babies are born "pre-mature" so the skull can pass through the pelvis.

Fun stuff!

Do what you need to do to sleep well at night. If you are constantly worried about the kids and the stove, then put the fence up. They don't look too bad. I would advise that at 5-6 years old to teach the kid about the stove and have them help you tend to it on occasion. The heat that the stove puts off teaches them very quick that it is not a toy. Kids are pretty smart, but if I had toddlers, I would get one of those fences. When I installed the stove, I committed that safety is #1, 2, and 3 on my priority list. My daughter, who at the time was in 3rd grade, was visited by the local fire department in her class. She made an evacuation plan for the family, in case of a fire. Seriously.
There are a lot of good "family" moments when you have a stove. Kids stacking wood, gathering around the stove with hot chocolate after sledding, having some drinks in front of the fire with the wife. Good stuff! Hope you all enjoy and be safe. We'll all be burning very soon.

I have the Kidco Hearthgate. I love it. I need it. My insert is in our livingroom. This is where we spend most of our time. My biggest concern isn't with my little guy reaching out and touching it, as much as I'm concerned about him falling into it. He's a maniac and I love that about him. The glass on these stoves gets super hot. No need to risk it. I would be kicking myself if my little man ever got burned from my stove and I didn't at least do my best to protect him. Hey the world's an imperfect place. Our kids are gonna fall and get scrapes- and I'm ok with that- they'll learn from them. But when it comes to having a 600 degree stove two feet from where we play trucks and watch Max and Ruby- I'm erring on the side of caution. The Heartgate is a great product.

A bonus feature of the hearthgate is when we come in from the snow we hang our wet gloves, socks, hats etc. on the fence and in no time that stuff is toasty.

Hmmm, imagine if we let them learn the words "sharp" and "poison" that way...

DiscoInferno said:
Hmmm, imagine if we let them learn the word "sharp" and "poison" that way...

Ohhh...your just being over protective. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.