Children helping day out (Axe for 8 year old thread closed)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

I have mixed feelings about this (not all 8 year olds are the same) but this story made me think about the thread that Pen just closed. Did you hear about the 6 year old boy who got pulled into the chipper shreader in Conn. and was killed. I am sure this post is in the wrong place but still think its something to keep in mind when you have the kids help out. I have a 9 year old grandson and he can do a lot of things but you can never be too careful. I can not type well today should have said Dad.

Reactions: KodiakII
I think some kids are quite capable of properly using tools, and I'll use my youngest son as an example. He is almost 11 yrs old, and a very responsible young man. He's used a pocketknife since he was 8 (with supervision, of course), and I now don't need to keep a constant eye on him with it because he's proved he can safely use and handle it. He's also quite the helper at my tree removal jobs, never a complaint about working (I never make him help, he comes voluntarily) and I pay him for his time and work. He's learned the value of work, and he has a strong desire to earn money doing odd jobs, etc. Now I'm not going to just give him a razor sharp axe and send him out back to cut wood without my close supervision, that's not where I'm going with this. All I'm saying is that some kids are quite capable of helping out, and if so, I don't have a problem letting them help. And that doesn't mean they just go and do it, you need to be right there to supervise that activity. Letting a 6 yr old anywhere NEAR a chipper/shredder? That guy oughta have his you-know-whats cut off with a Fiskars IMHO.....

Reactions: BrianK
And yet other kids are so . . . NOT resposible, as to go and reopen threads intentionally closed by a Mod:p

Just depends. I grow up on 3 family farms. By 9 I could run any of the tractors plow in a stright line. Now wood at this point was just moving it. Loading and unloading.

Just depends. I grow up on 3 family farms. By 9 I could run any of the tractors plow in a stright line. Now wood at this point was just moving it. Loading and unloading.
I'm headed for half a century and I STIHL can't plow straight<>

And yet other kids are so . . . NOT resposible, as to go and reopen threads intentionally closed by a Mod:p
Sorry wont happen again! They can move it to the Ash Can or where ever, I thought the boy losing his life made a point worth bringing up.

Reactions: ScotO

I just turned 50 and jay will only let me load and unload.::P
I have a 9 yr old boy. He swings the 4lb axe with me.
He's not strong but pretty good at physics and geometry
and can dress a wound with the best of um.

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
We could include wives on this topic also, put a tool in my wifes hand and I'm running the other way.;lol

Sparky I think it was definitely a good point and worthy of bringing up. I think the main reason Pen closed that thread was he didn't want it to get personal with the OP's situation. This argument has merit, and I am sure Pen would agree.

Reactions: mecreature
I just turned 50 and jay will only let me load and unload.::P
I have a 9 yr old boy. He swings the 4lb axe with me.
He's not strong but pretty good at physics and geometry
and can dress a wound with the best of um.

You are very good at it. Thats how I moved up! ;) Now I find myself back at that job and letting james run the 460 on this big oak. (You and I both around that splitter and I bet we could break a record)

Reactions: mecreature
You are very good at it. Thats how I moved up! ;) Now I find myself back at that job and letting james run the 460 on this big oak. (You and I both around that splitter and I bet we could break a record)

Give it a good days work, not sure about any record. LOL
Did you get your fill over this winter? Are you about wrapping it up.

Give it a good days work, not sure about any record. LOL
Did you get your fill over this winter? Are you about wrapping it up.

4 turns left.

I think a young person needs to have some aptitude, interest to learn how to do the work correctly and qualified guidance. Of all my brothers I was the only one running at 14. Had numerous opportunities to use a maul as well but didn't have the strength at the time to be very productive. Ran all kinds of power tools including circular saws, a radial arm saw, router and others at the same time. My dad was there all along but I had the desire to learn and the ability to take critisism when I messed up. I worked hard on weekends and after school learning carpentry, firewood, hunting and other stuff like that. Never threw a football around the backyard or played any ball sports for that matter. Hunting, fishing, and camping was it. I do have to give my dad credit because he was willing to teach me anything I wanted to learn. I wouldn't be where I am today without the experience but also the work ethic it created.

You shouldn't force a kid to do stuff like this but you should be there guide them as far as they want and are capable of going.

Reactions: BrianK and ScotO
I agree that it totally depends on the kid. I wouldn't leave my 20 yo stepson alone with any power tool. He has neither the interest nor aptitude for them. My father put just about every one of his hand or power tools in my hands as I grew up. I had a natural interest in all things tool and with his guidance I did fine.

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.