Chim fire, now baffle removal.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishinAK

Apr 19, 2006
Hey there. I recently had a very small chimney fire. Surprizingly in a set up that is only a year old and has only seen about 1 cord. However, I am fairly convinced that the cause of the build was due to the warmer weather and dampering the fire to low...I would go so low any more!
But now I need to clean the flue. I think the easiest way is going to be to pull the brush from below. but to do this I will have to remove the secondary burn baffle.
Can anyone tell me, is this an easy task or not? The manual says nothing about baffle removal. However, it looks easy enough. But I dont want to do somthing that I cant reverse. thanks for any thoughts.
The stove is a Jotul F3CB

Attachments

• Flue.jpg
    Flue.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 333
  • Flue2.jpg
    Flue2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 335
fishinAK said:
Hey there. I recently had a very small chimney fire. Surprizingly in a set up that is only a year old and has only seen about 1 cord. However, I am fairly convinced that the cause of the build was due to the warmer weather and dampering the fire to low...I would go so low any more!
But now I need to clean the flue. I think the easiest way is going to be to pull the brush from below. but to do this I will have to remove the secondary burn baffle.
Can anyone tell me, is this an easy task or not? The manual says nothing about baffle removal. However, it looks easy enough. But I dont want to do somthing that I cant reverse. thanks for any thoughts.
The stove is a Jotul F3CB

That stainless steel baffle in the top of the firebox on the F3CB has a piece of solid cast iron completely covering the top of it and bolted in. To take out the cast iron and the baffle you have to take the top off of the stove. At that point you have access to the flue without taking out the cast piece and the baffle.

The baffle in the F3 is a pain in the butt. That is why mine in the office has a stainless tee in the pipe. So I can clean the chimney without taking the stove out.

Attachments

• tee.JPG
    tee.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 326
Status
Not open for further replies.