Chimfex Revisited

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluttermagnet

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2008
Mid Atlantic
I've seen an older thread which mentioned that the Chimfex plant had burned down (how ironic!) and they were selling well on Ebay at inflated prices. I also saw the thread announcing that Chimfex is up and running again. What I'd like to add to the discussion is that I was recently pleased (though a little surprised) to find Chimfex on sale at my local Walmart. This is good especially because they discount fairly heavily. So I found and bought one for 25 dollars. This was nearly 10 dollars less than a price I'd seen on an internet site (plus shipping!)

But wait, theres more... Recently I checked back, and my local Walmart was already clearing them out. 15 dollars a pop, another 'red label' markdown special. I've got mine. Go get 'em, guys and gals. Yes, I bought a second one. I'll probably return the other 25 dollar one. Or not. BTW these items showed up way late in the season- not in late summer when all the space heaters get set out, but after the new year. My first receipt is dated early January 2010. OK, so we didn't get Stanley Kubrick's fancy 2010 space station, but at least we got Chimfex. :)

It's a much more secure feeling, burning with the knowledge that I have a 'save my bacon' sort of backup plan if things ever spin badly out of control. Of course, I intend for regular inspections and cleanings to help me avoid that ever happening. Still, I sleep better these days.

OK, you're not going to believe this, but Chimfex is just about free at Walmart. Not 25 dollars (bought one at that price and later returnmed it), not clearanced at 15.00, but now, just today, saw them clearanced at 5 dollars each. 5 dollars! Could not believe it. They had about 10-12, so they're not exactly flying off the shelf. I bought 2 at the 5 dollar price.

Just a note: It is my understanding you would NOT want to use one of these inside an EPA stove. Can we get some clarification from one of the firefighters on the list please?

Shari

Shari said:
Just a note: It is my understanding you would NOT want to use one of these inside an EPA stove. Can we get some clarification from one of the firefighters on the list please?

Shari

Me . . . I could take 'em or leave 'em. My philosophy has always been if you burn at the correct (i.e. hot enough) temps, burn seasoned wood and inspect/clean your chimney on a regular basis you should never need one of these gizmos.

Cluttermagnet said:
OK, you're not going to believe this, but Chimfex is just about free at Walmart. Not 25 dollars (bought one at that price and later returnmed it), not clearanced at 15.00, but now, just today, saw them clearanced at 5 dollars each. 5 dollars! Could not believe it. They had about 10-12, so they're not exactly flying off the shelf. I bought 2 at the 5 dollar price.

I picked up one at Walmart in Plymouth, Mass. today for $5.00 too.. They had quite a few left.. Hope I never need it..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.