chimmney liner don,t fit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spinner

Nov 26, 2007
southern ma
bought six inch liner for my stove cannot get it down chimney because clay tile are not lined up straight so instead of breaking them out can I use a 5.5 inch liner instead stove is a Montpellier VC about 16 feet of liner thanks for any help

They make a ovalized liner as well that may fit better if you have a rectangular shaped flue.

for the 8x12 OD clay flues we use rigid duraliner oval liner. Works great.

What size are the flue tiles?

tiles are 6 3/4 id by 12id, liner is like 6 1/4 od then with the insulation wrap it fits in the clay liner but seeing that there not stacked straight there is no way to go down without breaking the clay liner out which I don't really want to do

Skip the insulation wrap and pour it in after liner is installed.

Or start working oval time.

branchburner said:

Boooo, but good suggestion.

BeGreen said:
branchburner said:

Boooo, but good suggestion.

But then where do you find oval trees to cut to make oval smoke?

If the clay tiles aren't too out of whack, do you think a pull cone would help get the liner past? Seems that your liner edge might be getting hung up and a cone might ramp the edge past the offset clay tile. Who knows, it might even push the tile back in line a bit? I would use a heavy rope though and PULL.

stejus said:
Skip the insulation wrap and pour it in after liner is installed.

Wouldn't you want to get 1/2" poured insulation all the way around the liner? His clay is only 1/2" larger than the liner OD, so chances are the liner would be resting on the clay for most of the run down. That would pretty much defeat the purpose of the insulation.

OK, let's back up here a little ways.

How are you doing this? Just trying to push the liner down the flue? Is the end you are pushing down still round or did you mash it in some to form a cone? Do you have a rope attached to the bottom of the liner with somebody on the bottom pulling gently as you lower it?

We need some info here. How are you doing this?

I SMASHED THE END IN ATTACHED A ROPE SOMEONE PULLING FROM BOTTOM BUT THE CLAY LINER AT THE TOP WELL THE THIRD SECTION DOWN STICKS OUT ABOUT A INCH WON'T GO BYE SHORT OF SMASHING IT OUT WHICH i WOULD LIKE TO AVOID

I installed mine in my 8x13 flue last year, uninsulated. I had to ovalize, not a big deal at all. And it is better with the "push / pull" method. Your chimney is tight, wrapped insulation will not fit IMO, but you can insulate after if you want.

Slightly oval the top few feet of it and then pull/push it up from the bottom instead of going down from the top. That way you can reach down with something from the top and maneuver it through the offset tile.

I'm actually getting ready to try the same thing with my 6 1/2 x 10 1/2 flue. I'm going to try ovalizing a 7in liner with 1/4 in insulation wrap. If narrow side of oval is 5 1/4 with 1/4 in wrap that's a total of 5 3/4. Shouldn't have a problem going down 6 1/2 flue.
I'm just a beginner, but couldn't he oval to about 4in or is that too much?
What kind of liner do you have. I had to get the flex king, not the flex king pro in order to be able to ovalize.
Hoping this was helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.