Chimney Advice Needed (Pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
Evening all,

My question has to do with whether or not any cracks in a clay tile lined chimney are safe. I have spoken to several others in my community that burn wood, and the typical response I have gotten has been "every one i've seen has cracks."

My cracks are found in the very top chimney tile. There is another about mid way as well, but not nearly the size of the one in the highest tile that I am showcasing in the pictures.

What are your opinions.

Is it time to get the chimney lined? Or is this really the norm for a tile lined chimney.

Also, what are your opinions on the appearance of the chimney in terms of cleanliness.

Thank you in advance for your time.

pen

Attachments

• downchimney1.JPG
    downchimney1.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 945
Here is another pic of the chimney better showing the crack in question.

Attachments

• downchimney02.JPG
    downchimney02.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 947
Here is a picture of the part of the chimney seen above the roof. This chimney is on the outside of the house. Also you can see where the previous owner has attempted to "repair" one of the cracks.

pen

Attachments

• chimney01.JPG
    chimney01.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 913
Here is the last picture that I took. This picture is from the cleanout and up. In the second tile up and on the left, you will see another hair line crack.

Thanks again to all.

pen

Attachments

• upchimney01.JPG
    upchimney01.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 930
The pros will ring in but while the top one being cracked, temperature differential does that to most of them, and with one lower down being cracked I would line it and not take a chance on a flue fire getting through it and setting framing on fire. And the draft improvement is worth it anyway.

As to clean. Looks great to me. I am the guy that looked down and saw this one day.

Attachments

• tarcreosote.jpg
    tarcreosote.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 981
What the heck, as long as I am taking up site space with pictures, I might as well do it well! I'll show you what utilizes that chimney

(Hope that is OK, please let me know if it is not kosher)

here is a pic of the old Grandma Bear. It may be old but it certainly did a nice job last winter here in the Endless Mountain section of Pennsylvania.

Attachments

• grandmabearfisher.JPG
    grandmabearfisher.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 821
BrotherBart said:
The pros will ring in but while the top one being cracked, temperature differential does that to most of them, and with one lower down being cracked I would line it and not take a chance on a flue fire getting through it and setting framing on fire. And the draft improvement is worth it anyway.

As to clean. Looks great to me. I am the guy that looked down and saw this one day.

Holy 3rd stage creosote batman! I have seen that pic on the web not associated with this site before. Always interesting to put info on the web together with its owner. There must be an impressive cleaning story to go along with that! I couldn't imagine what it would take to remove that with a brush, if it is even possible.

It was a really thin glaze. Burned off fast with no drama.

How does this compare to the appearance of other chimney's around?

Since this is no exact science, it is nice to hear what others are experiencing to see if I am in the ballpark / doing this right. I feel like I do not know what "normal" is.

Thanks.

Welcome aboard Pen, I am in agreement with BB. Better safe than sorry. Once cracked, If you happen to have a chimney fire and it gets through the crack and to the framing around the chimney, worst case scenario, you loose your home to fire. If you reline with insulation and have a fire, worst case scenario, cash shelled out for liner & possibly having to reline again. Home intact.

BB speaks from alot of experience, hes the resident old timer who has soiled his depends many a times :)
He done everything the hard way, and reports it to us ;)
I think that chimney looks awfully shiny & slick BB, kinda purdy!!!

Pen, your chimney looks clean, but those cracks are a done deal.

I also am from the Endless Mts, great place to live Pen.

Hogwildz said:
BB speaks from alot of experience, hes the resident old timer who has soiled his depends many a times :)

Well actually there are two of us. Backwoods Savage always gets it right and I have made every wood burning/cutting mistake you can make. Except the big one.

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

Well actually there are two of us. Backwoods Savage always gets it right and I have made every wood burning/cutting mistake you can make. Except the big one.
Thats why we love ya brotha!
I dunno why I relate to you so well. Lord knows I am flaweless and made no mistakes in my lifetime ;)
Its a pleasure to learn from your mistakes.

Thanks for your honest and interesting responses as well as the warm welcome.

Certainly have a nice site here. I have been enjoying the galleries and am amazed at the activity in these forums!

pen

Flue tiles will crack when they've been set without space around them to allow for expansion and contraction. If they're set properly with space all around and no mortar between the tile and the outer structure they won't crack. If you can reach the damaged tile you can certainly clean it well and patch with refractory clay although it's likely to crack again. It seems unlikely that the crack would have any effect on draft.

With an exterior chimney I would line it for sure. I'm not sure if you can insulate or not, but would also consider that.

Status
Not open for further replies.