Chimney Advice Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randyb

Jul 27, 2008
Lakes Region NH
The previous owners had a wood cook stove. The flue clay is now cracked pretty badly, no problem ForeverFlex Oval has arrived. What I need advice with is connecting from the tee thru the wall. The total distance from inside clay liner to outside brick is 24". The distance from inside the clay liner to the outside of the brick for the chimney is 13.5" thus outside chimney brick to outside hearth brick is 10.5". The diameter of the current hole configuration is 8" and I will be installing 6" liner for the Fireview.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, difficulty isn't an issue and price isn't really an issue, I figure the house and family are worth doing it right the first time.

Thanks to all for the help.

100887066.fRKoAUsN.IMG_0239a.jpg
100887068.IRm2oV2m.IMG_0240a.jpg

Is the whole liner ovalized? Did you get a kit of just the liner pipe? If you got a kit did it include a two piece Tee?

The entire thing is ovalized, it is the kit with insulation wrap, The Flue the Tee and the Cleanout cap and all roof parts (Clay Flue 7x11 ID). Oh ya, the hearth is on the first floor and the chimney is a three flue chimney and the cleanup for this flue is in the basement, thus the cleanout cap will be rendered useless. Just incase anyone has nay ideas on this too.

The part that comes off the tee is an adapter and then a sleeve attaches to the adapter and Woodstock had the crimp the end of the sleeve so that I can attach more piping to it, appearantly normal scenario for this is the sleeve that comes off the Tee is usually connected directly to the stove. Very seldom is what I have to do the "normal" thing that happens.

Just to levelset here. You have the tee with what is referred to as a removeable "snout" and need to know how to connect pipe to it the rest of the way out of the "thimble" through the bricks to the snout after it is attached to the other piece of the tee attached to the liner?

Generally, I guess what I'm asking is, in order to minimize clearances do I mortar an 8" Thimble to the inside chimney brick to the clay flue and then another Thimble from there to the hearth brick after which would I then just run a single wall 6" pipe through the thimble and if so should I anchor it to the 8" in any way? Or is there a double wall pipe I could use inside the 8" as there should be plenty of room? OR is there still a better way that I haven't any idea about?

Thanks, again for trying to help.

I would mortar in a thimble and run the six inch through it pushed onto the crimped end of the snout. But let's hang on for Craig to show up on this one since he has done this stuff for a living. A section of insulated double wall should do the same thing but would be harder to secure to the snout.

Since I already had a thimble in place I packed around the single wall through it with Kaowool around the single wall pipe.

Not exactly sure what is being asked, but if it involves wall pass though, check out this article:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/passing_a_chimney

Depending on the clearances coming through the wall into the room, you could use a number of methods. Putting a 6" stainless single wall through the wall - into an 8" crock with a 1" airspace OR 1" of koawool around it would help reduce clearances. You could also use a piece of HT chimney cemented into the wall...in that case, you do have to use a "pipe adapter" on the inside of the house which gives you a crimped end with work with - then , as you know, crimped ends head toward the stove.

You need to have the basic tools of the trade - most importantly a crimpers!

Status
Not open for further replies.