Chimney and cap repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should the crown be out of stiff cement? That was not how i was taught at all. Also if they did it correctly there should be bond breaks every where so removing it should be pretty easy. I personally would not settle for grinding it somewhat even at all i would demand that it be right.

If they did it correctly this thread would not exist. I've never once seen bond breaks utilized in any chimney repair I've ever done. No reason to beleive they were used here. My thought is if you ask the chimney repair guy to redo that poured crown they're going to whack it off with a sledgehammer further cracking the bricks and flues with stress cracks.

Seeing the job in entirety with the new pic that might not be a bad idea.

Winkle those look like fairly new shingles. Are you having leaks?

If they did it correctly this thread would not exist. I've never once seen bond breaks utilized in any chimney repair I've ever done. No reason to beleive they were used here. My thought is if you ask the chimney repair guy to redo that poured crown they're going to whack it off with a sledgehammer further cracking the bricks and flues with stress cracks.

Seeing the job in entirety with the new pic that might not be a bad idea.

Winkle those look like fairly new shingles. Are you having leaks?

The chimney was replaced (from the roofline up), the pic u see is the job in its entirety (less the damper).
Roof is @ 6 yrs old, replaced by insurance because of ice storm damage, no leaking

I hate to be critical (lord knows there are a couple guys here that criticize every job ever done) but if I were you I would get another reputable mason to come out and give an opinion. From the pics the whole job looks pretty rough.

Reactions: bholler
I've never once seen bond breaks utilized in any chimney repair I've ever done.
Their should be a bond break between the top of the chimney and the crown and breaks between the liners and the crown. We do it as well as most members of the pa guild it allows for movement with out cracking.

lord knows there are a couple guys here that criticize every job ever done
Haha i take it i am one of them. I am much harder on jobs done by pros i might recommend trying to cut the bottom edge off at an angle to make it look better if it was done by a homeowner. But a pro should know much better and after paying for a pro job you should not have to live with sub par work. But yeah i may be to critical as well sorry for that

Haha i take it i am one of them. I am much harder on jobs done by pros i might recommend trying to cut the bottom edge off at an angle to make it look better if it was done by a homeowner. But a pro should know much better and after paying for a pro job you should not have to live with sub par work. But yeah i may be to critical as well sorry for that
looking for a reasonable critique, not perfection, thank you for your expertise

looking for a reasonable critique, not perfection, thank you for your expertise

Well bholler is quite correct. I've been slinging bricks for 40 years and that is not a professional looking job but I also like to keep my critiquing at bay. My only concern at this point is could the "chimney guy" who did it that way to begin with correct it without making matters worse. It's going to come down to aesthetics and what you'll settle for.

BTW if your not getting leaks consider yourself lucky. Chimneys intersecting valleys are usually a headache for the homeowner.

Reactions: bholler
My only concern at this point is could the "chimney guy" who did it that way to begin with correct it without making matters worse. It's going to come down to aesthetics and what you'll settle for.
I would be concerned with that as well but with that many voids in it i doubt that that crown will hold up very long. If it was me i would insist it be replaced but it isnt my house or my job winkle needs to decide that

I would be concerned with that as well but with that many voids in it i doubt that that crown will hold up very long. If it was me i would insist it be replaced but it isnt my house or my job winkle needs to decide that
still waiting for a decision from the contractor...

Status
Not open for further replies.