chimney and insert info needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Stewart

Sep 5, 2012
Chilliwack BC
2 years ago I renovated my house, tore the roof off the garage and added second story. My chimney since then is unusable ,it opens up into my truss space and is approx 15 inches from the point where it would protrude thru the new roof. I want to burn wood this winter so I need a solution. My old insert use to exhaust thru a rectangular damper into a 10 by 10 clay liner. I know extending the chimney would be an option but it is at the start of a 5/12 pitch so it would have to go quite high and have it quoted for 6000. Do they make a product that would be safe to hook up to new insert adapt thru rectangular damper, then up 10 by 10 clay liner, thru the truss space where chimney ends and then thru roof to cap.
thanks Brad

With a 10x10 liner, if you are willing to bust that damper open, there are some double wall insulated chimney pipes (like this one http://www.northlineexpress.com/chi...alvanized-chimney-pipe-9409gacf-9409gacf.html) that come in under 10 inches across. I don't see why that couldn't be run up the current flue and then installed above the existing chimney just like you would any other SS system.

What stove are you running? (adding it to your signature is helpful for the future) If your stove has an 8 inch flue collar, it might be time to upgrade to a newer unit with a 6 inch collar as it's not kosher to reduce many 8inch stoves down to a 6 inch chimney.

Welcome to the site.

pen

Thanks for the reply, I have not purchased the new stove yet. Is this something a DIY guy could do by himself ? is a permit required? Also I was wondering where the old flue ends in the truss space would you need any additional sheathing for protection or does that double wall pipe allow it to be close to wood, until it gets thru the roof.

Thanks again, Brad

The challenge in running class A pipe up a masonry chimney would be supporting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.