Chimney and next year's stove advise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chance04

Burning Hunk
Nov 22, 2014
Eastern Shore MD
We have a cape cod that was constructed in 1955. Floors are only half insulated (I'm gonna work on finishing that project this spring) walls have standard FG bats in them. Most of the windows have been replaced with double hung low e glass replacements. Our first year here e heated with a tiny little Sierra air tight smoke Dragon that we soon realized was to small for the house. Last summer I scored a (deal) with a dutchwest 2478 non cat down draft stove. The stove worked just fine in the shoulder season even though I thought it was chewing through my supply just a bit faster than I had planned. This past month here on Delmarva it had been unseasonably cold and wee have worked the stove to what I think is it's capacity. With good wood the stove doesn't really have a problem keeping the house around 70 where we like it. The issue I have with the stove is that it requires fuel every three to four hours. Fortunately my wife had decided it's just easier to sleep in the den with the stove and feed it every three hours to maintain the comfort of the house. Next season of like teat be able to load a drive at 10~11pm and it still be kicking out heat the next morning at 6~7Am. Im not buying into this 10 hour burn time in ideal conditions with the air turn basically off. I want heat/fire at 8~10 hours. Not just a like warm stove with coals enough for a quick re-fire. I'm looking for suggestions. Right now my current set up leaves stove, goes straight up single wall 6" to a 90 that passes out through the thimble and into the masonary clay lined 6" square chimney. Approximately 13~15 foot tall. I'm worried I don't have enough draft for a cat stove.
uploadfromtaptalk1425349542388.jpguploadfromtaptalk1425349554982.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Two stoves that come to mind are the BK Sirocco (or Ashford) 30 and the Woodstock Ideal Steel. Most likely you have enough draft. The Dutchwest would be complaining if you didn't.

Dry wood will be a prerequisite for any stove to work at peak performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.