chimney and vinyl siding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xpertpc

Jul 12, 2008
Western Kentucky
First my exterior chimney is made from 16" square ventilated cinder blocks with a 9" hole that is clay lined. I am just starting to put vinyl siding on when it occurs to me that I have to butt up against the chimney, I have never felt how hot the blocks get with a fire and really don't want to start one when its 90 outside plus I plan on a new Englander stove later in the year and it will probably burn hotter then my old Ashley.

I thought about a buffer material between the chimney and siding like a single red brick from ground to roof bonded to my old slate siding or am I worrying about nothing since the chimney is attached to my wooden frame house and it hasn't burned down (yet).

Has anyone ran into this before

I read 211a.b-C&D;also 212, 213 and special section 409 chapters 8 and 12 and none of those addressed my question . Thanks for answering the question though.

The concrete doesn't get that hot.
Almost all the heat rises cuz of that damned hole in the top.

billb3 said:
The concrete doesn't get that hot.
Almost all the heat rises cuz of that damned hole in the top.

I misread that part about not needing double or triple lined pipe when a cardboard tube is more economical, thanks for answering the question though.

sawdustburners said:
ask the local fire dept.

Hey! I thought about that but can you believe nobody on our fire department knew what the actual temperature of masonry chimney stack was, of course they would come out and put out any fire but I am trying to prevent that. Thanks for answering the question though.

Will the exterior chimney have a liner installed for the 30NC? If yes, this will be a non-issue. The chimney will get warm, but it's mass will dissipate the heat pretty quickly due to the cold air outside.

Fire departments are just that, a fire dept. They put fires out. The building department decides if things are done properly. Ck NFPA 211 on the thickness of the masonary chimney and the space from the side of the house to the masonary, also how is the wall pass through constructed?

NOT a smack on fire dept. these guys are great, but they train to put out fires, not do construction.

humpin iron said:
Fire departments are just that, a fire dept. They put fires out. The building department decides if things are done properly. Ck NFPA 211 on the thickness of the masonary chimney and the space from the side of the house to the masonary, also how is the wall pass through constructed?

NOT a smack on fire dept. these guys are great, but they train to put out fires, not do construction.

You'd be surprised what the Fire Chief or inspector gets involved in in some states/cities/towns. Many towns do not have the same resources as others so some fill multiple shoes.

The issue is not with the chimney, it was built 60 years ago when the house was constructed. The question was vinyl siding butting up against the masonry block without melting. Thanks for all the responses, I guess to be safe I will make a hot fire and measure the block temperature.

With an exterior chimney, me thinks it is a non-issue. :smirk:

humpin iron said:

have to disagree with you there.in my line of work, i've met many fire marshalls that are very astute with life safety codes and fire codes, it's part of their job when they are higher up on the dept food chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.