Chimney backdraft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiteg

Jul 10, 2015
Nova Scotia
I'm going from a woodstove to pellet very soon. I would like to vent it directly into the existing masonry chimney. My problem is that i often have a reverse draft in the chimney which goes away once the woodstove kicks in. I'm wondering if a pellet stove exhaust js hot enough to warm the chimney and overcome the reverse draft? The stove will sit in the basement, chimney height is about 20', and it runs up an outside wall. Thanks.

You will have to line it. Once its lined with 3"-4" liner it should lessen your backdraft along with the combustion blower you should be fine.

Thx. I considered that, sounds like a good approach. I wonder what the max back pressure should be if one was to take a measure with a magnelic gage at the thimble.

Thx. I considered that, sounds like a good approach. I wonder what the max back pressure should be if one was to take a measure with a magnelic gage at the thimble.

Im not sure what the reading should be with a magnehelic gage. I use a manometer on my stoves (coal) and .04-.06 wc is a real good draft.

Probably never get enough heat with the pellet stove to get a good draft going. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.