Chimney Brush - 5 In or 6 In

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joesat78

Jul 13, 2008
Central PA
Forumers,

My 6inch SS liner was slightly ovalized to fit into the masonry chimney. The installer suggested to use a 5 inch brush while cleaning. I was thinking would it be a good idea to buy a 6 inch brush and trim 1/2 inch on either side to ovalize the brush instead of a 5 inch brush?

Thanks, Joe

It might depend upon how "slightly ovalized" the pipe is. You may not even have to do any trimming! If you can buy the brush locally, then perhaps you can get one of each and take back the one that won't work out for you.

If you stay away from the wire brush, you might be okay with 6" because the poly are quite flexible.

The stiff bristles act as ratchet dogs. They will bend enough to go in but will take some effort to pull it back out. The trick is to put a little spin on it while reversing. Just make sure you turn it in the right direction so as not to undo the joints of the rods.

I don't think making the brush oval will work well as I doubt you could index it. Buy the 6 inch and try it. You can always trim it all the way around.

Brushes are available in all shapes and sizes...including oval. Just depends on what you mean when you say "slightly". Rick

joesat78 said:
Forumers,

My 6inch SS liner was slightly ovalized to fit into the masonry chimney. The installer suggested to use a 5 inch brush while cleaning. I was thinking would it be a good idea to buy a 6 inch brush and trim 1/2 inch on either side to ovalize the brush instead of a 5 inch brush?

Thanks, Joe

Had the same hurdle. Read this thread..

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/26704/

Status
Not open for further replies.