Chimney Brush Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hack

Dec 13, 2012
Hey guys,

Looking to get the supplies to sweep my stove pipe for the first time.

My setup has 2 45's to create about 8 inches of offset above the stove to connect to 17' of class A. Access to the top of the chimney is good.

I'm hoping to be able to sweep from the top down and through the two 45's to the stove. Is this feasable? If so, should I get 1/4" rod instead of 3/8"? Would 20' of 1/4 rod be too flexible to run the brush up and down? Do I want a poly brush for my stainless class A?

Thanks in advance!

You could always pull the brush from the bottom up via a rope. Dunno how that'll work with the 45's however. Yes to the poly brush on stainless.

Has anyone ever suggested the Sooteater brush to you? A quick search here will yield a bunch of threads with good info. Might be something your interested in.

The house I had when I lived in the cities had the two 45* off sets. The chimney was only about 14', I had no problem sweeping with the brush and rods from the top down. There is a little resistance when you hit the off sets put nothing major.

My stove pipe looks like this:
I sweep from the top down, the brush goes through 45's without too much problem.
My rods are 5/16 dia, I think I got them from HD.
Use poly for stainless.
Picture 143.jpg

Thanks guys, The pic above looks like the same amount of offset I have. I guess I'll go with the standard 3/8's rod and see how it makes the bend. Anybody tried the 1/4 rod? Is it like pushing a rope? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.