1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Chimney brush ?'s

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by suprz, Dec 12, 2012.

1. suprz

suprz Member

Loc:
    Rhode island
    What kind of brush do you guys use, poly or metal? I am leaning toward poly cause it won't be so abrasive to the pipe. I figure I would have it done once by a professional and watch then do it myself

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    If its in a stainless chimney or liner, only Poly, if in a clay tile metal. My Liner said warrenty VOID if anything besides a POLY brush is used.
  3. wingsfan

wingsfan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Jackson,Mi.
    I use a poly brush. Somewhere I seen a wire brush will scratch the stainless and rust will start and creosote will build up faster.
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Poly.
  5. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    +1 - Poly on stainless, steel on tile. Watch the poly brush, some are a little too big. When you get a new brush push it down the pipe a foot then try to pull it up. There should be an increase in resistance when the brush changes direction but not a lot. If it jams hard when you try to reverse direction you may want to trim it just a little. You don't want the head to get stuck in the pipe and pulled off the rod/rope. You also don't want it to stretch the seams when you reverse direction.

KaptJaq
  6. Hickorynut

Hickorynut Burning Hunk

Loc:
    western ky.
    I use a metal wire brush on a 6 inch stainless steel ventinox liner. The professional stove installers said that is what they use.
  7. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Poly on my ss liner. Very easy to do it takes me about a half hour that including removing the baffle in the stove.
  8. clemsonfor

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    That doesnt make it right! Did you see the post by pallet pete where the pro used the "chain flail" on his buddies SS liner!!!

It dont matter who uses a metal brush onmy liner.. warrenty still void, although if a pro did i i guess i could try n go after them if it failed under warrenty??
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Clemsonfor brought up a good comment. To add to that, I've posted on here before about this. The last time we put up a new chimney (SS) just for kicks I asked the man at the stove about steel vs. poly. He has worked at this for many, many years (don't remember exact so will just say many). His comment was that you indeed could use either but.... In his years of working with this stuff, the only SS chimneys he has ever seen that had to be replaced were the ones where the owners used steel brushes. Never any damage with poly. He did say no damage appeared much at all until close to 20 years but by 20-22 years they had to replace.

With that comment, I simply figured, why not buy a new poly brush for $15. Sure, I have the steel brush but probably will never use it again. For a lousy $15 I'll go with the idea that it won't damage the SS.
    John_M and Joful like this.
  10. jjs777_fzr

jjs777_fzr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NorthShore, MA USA
    good post -

6" metal brush for sale

I'll go with poly.
    Joful likes this.
  11. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    I use a sooteater....
  12. rkshed

rkshed Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NH
    Steel on the galv straight shot and poly on the flex SS.
  13. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I use Fossil's ferret . . . looks almost as good as the day it was installed. ;)
  14. nellraq

nellraq New Member

Loc:
    Coldstream, BC, Canada
    On the boxes of the wire brushes that are available in my area, it very clearly states that a wire brush is meant only for a clay liner --do not use on a SS liner.
  15. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Rolling eyes. Here we go again, every gdamn year.
  16. El Finko

El Finko Member

Loc:
    Mason Dixon Line
    If you don't like to see questions repeated then you probably shouldn't spend so much time on an internet forum.
    etiger2007 likes this.
  17. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Yeah but betting ffjake's ferret thing is new..... :)
  18. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yep. No such thing as a question asked too many times in this place. >>
  19. bag of hammers

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Ed do you remove and inspect / clean all the tubes in your Osburn when you pull the baffle? I don't - just wondering if that's worth the extra few minutes....?
  20. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Yes, I have to remove my front two tubes to get the baffle out so it was worth the look. This is the first winter for this stove so they were obvioulsy clean. Maybe the next year or year after that the far back tube will be pulled and cleaned.
  21. bag of hammers

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Thanks Ed - I can get away with dropping 1 tube + front baffle support (guess I have a bit more leeway since the baffle in the older Osburn is a series of bricks..?). Maybe I should drop all the tubes next time I clean the stove and give them all a closer look. Probably only add 10 minutes to the job. 3 years of weekend burning - from the outside they still look great - but sanity checks are always good.
  22. clemsonfor

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    i think he is more referring to why dont more folks use the search feature before posting? But really i dont mind seeing it more than once, i too have asked questions that have been asked more than once. I try to look at searches but the tangents we go on sometimes make them not as productive without reading for hours. Just like i am posting here!
  23. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I would guess that about 85% of newbie questions have been asked before. Sometimes with slightly new twists that the poster does not realize will not change the answer. Some answers do change as new products and procedures hit the market. Other answers change due to changes in codes.

I have no problem answering the same thing over again especially for a newbie. Many are overwhelmed with the idea of bringing fire into their home safely or don't understand why they cannot do it the way their father did. Many do not even know what to search for.

This place is a fun place to banter and tease each other but it is also here to help those that need help.

KaptJaq
  24. Hickorynut

Hickorynut Burning Hunk

Loc:
    western ky.
  25. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Duh, I have to know this for work, and have seen first hand the consequences of contaminating Stainless Steel with ordinary steel, but never thought about it when I bought my steel brush for a Stainless Liner.
    Carbon Steel scratching on Stainless Steel will introduce free Iron (Ferric), over time this can form a corrosion cell that will eventually pit the Stainless Steel. If the brush is stainless then this is not a problem, but I don't know if any brushes are stainless.

TE