Chimney Brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Anyone give me some thoughts as to the type of chimney brush to get for my Stainless chimney? Think its triple wall or whatever..cost me a ton so I know its the best stuff..They make metal and a nylon correct?? also, I ahve a cleanout at the very bottom of it, so I will need some kind of flexable but stiff enough to push up to the top of the chimney??

do you brush yours out form the top down or push it up from the bottom?

I usually run it back and forth a couple of times through the top 2-1/2 feet of flue - that is where 95% of the creosote ends up, and just the right length that I can hold the brush in my hand and work it back and forth. Then I lower a weighted rope down the flue, start the brush, reinstall the top cap, gather all my tools, get off the roof, recover the rope inside the stove and pull the brush through one time from the bottom.

huh, interesting approach but sounds like thats what I will need to do!

Adirondackwoodburner, I have a bottom clean out as well. I ordered one from ACE Hardware in New York State and got it the next day. NYLON BRISTLES ONLY for your chimney.

beautiful, I was just at Ace hardware this morning..only three blocks from my work..I looked at them too, thats what got me thinking about it..so you do from the top down too..I cant believe that they do not make some kind of deal that you can push up from the bottom..I ahve a 45" bend right at my drip edge so its not straight up.

No, I clean from the bottom up.
I have a thru-wall installation with a tee then up 20 feet. I clean out from the bottom up adding sections of fiberglass rod as I need them.

Where did you get the fiberglass rod?

Lowes has them for a little less that $5/ea. Home depot wants $29 for 6 3 foot lengths. Lowes are 4 foot.

James

I think Ace also carries the fiberglass rods.

btw, I also clean from the bottom up and have for many years.

Folks,

I have a SS flue too. Is the Rutland 6" round stiff poly #16906 from Ace the one most people are using? It's poly but, boy it's stiff! It says oil tempered spring wire, but I'm not sure what it's referring too - perhaps the shaft since the bristles are supposed to be poly.

Status
Not open for further replies.