Chimney can't be lined for our fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for the quick response -- very helpful!

To answer a few questions:

• Room size: 21' x 13'

• House square footage: Approx 2600 (Roughly 1440 on first floor)

• How open is the room: The main entrance to the room is a double-door-sized opening, which leads to the main hallway w/ stairs and then another double-door opening into the dining room. So, while it's mostly an enclosed space, I do think it's open enough for an insert to heat the first floor pretty well (see pics below.)

• Wood: Already on it. Got a delivery last fall (only a 1/2 cord, however), because I was planning ahead, knowing we'd (hopefully) have the fireplace lined & ready this year. My wife and I just moved in last fall and haven't yet used the fireplace, to be safe.

• Plans for heating: we DO like the heating power & efficiency of the stoves/inserts. Especially since our main heating source is an oil furnace/boiler. However, we also like the general ambiance of a standard fireplace, and we wanted to make sure the chimney guys' recommendations were legit before we make a somewhat drastic change to the fireplace.
From everyone's feedback here, it sounds like the insert is probably a good idea -- I think we will probably move ahead with that option (and also ask the company about additional stoves/models).

Some pics, for reference (hopefully these are visible below):

Fireplace. Opening is about 44"W x 28"H. I do think the Regency I2400 may look a little small here, but will prob blend in nicely, no? I also think it would heat the room (and probably more) just fine.
IMG_4125.JPG

As seen from dining room (to give an idea of how the room opens to other areas):
20130719_201034.jpg

It will heat a lot more than that room if you move some around! It's a good deal!

There are probably going to be some clearance to combustibles issues with that wood around the fireplace and the mantle. You need to explore that with the installers.

Put the largest insert you can in that fireplace with a full liner to top, and a block off plate at the damper are and you are good to go. Do check the wood parts as they may have to be removed. If you have or can install a ceiling fan in that room, that would help move the heat around also.

Reactions: webby3650
There are probably going to be some clearance to combustibles issues with that wood around the fireplace and the mantle. You need to explore that with the installers.
Yes, I think that wood is too close on the sides and above, floor looks good.....

If you are thinking about converting to woodheat put a bigger insert in. For 2600 sqft you will need something with a 3 cu ft firebox like the Regency I3100. Do they offer any other brand? There are a lot more companies that make nice inserts. Since you will use it and look at it for the entire time you will be living there I would suggest take your time and check out all the options.

What is the depth of the fireplace? The width and height look good, only the depth is a bit hard to judge from that picture. You will also need way more wood then; my guess would be about 4 cords per winter if you will have the stove running most of the time. Welcome to the club! :)

This a very normal price for a stove, liner and installation.

A liner kit might be got for $600, but no company will come out and do all the work for that. Not one that will be around very long anyway. You should expect to pay around $1500 for a liner installed. Some Heath stores are able to do better if a stove was also purchased.
Lets say stove is $2400 + $600 for liner kit, they make profit off of that $3000 that leaves $2200 for install and additional profit.to me, that is ripping them off

It looks like Clearance to the mantle is ok, as long as that mantle facing is 34 3/4". It appears to be.

Lets say stove is $2400 + $600 for liner kit, they make profit off of that $3000 that leaves $2200 for install and additional profit.to me, that is ripping them off

You lost me. They had to buy the Stove, liner and also provide the labor as well as any permits and insurance that is required. That doesn't leave $2200 for profit! Are you saying the Hearth store shouldn't make any money? Businesses aren't in business to operate at a loss!

You lost me. They had to buy the Stove, liner and also provide the labor as well as any permits and insurance that is required. That doesn't leave $2200 for profit! Are you saying the Hearth store shouldn't make any money? Businesses aren't in business to operate at a loss!
Don't get upset now Webby, I'm saying that I can buy the insert and liner kit for $3000, install it myself and the company that I bought it from makes money.that is my point. So if that is true, they make $2200 on the install. What does it cost to send 2 guys on a 4 hour round trip? I personally don't think $5200 is a fair price, $3700 yes but not $5200. And my question to you is, why and how can they do it for $3200? Sincerely your friend Ram :)

I also think that the quote of $5200 cannot be quite right and probably was just said to make the offer more enticing. Stove and liner together $3000 sounds about right. Install is usually between $600 to $800 if there is nothing special to do. Permit should not be necessary since the chimney is already there. All together in the neighborhood of $4000 would be more a standard price. Still makes the $3200 a pretty good deal.

And my question to you is, why and how can they do it for $3200?
Because they are trying to make it right with the customer. They have already got a lot of labor wrapped up in this job with no return. This way they still make $. BTW, I don't get upset.

Because they are trying to make it right with the customer. They have already got a lot of labor wrapped up in this job with no return. This way they still make $. BTW, I don't get upset.
Ok good, I'm sorry, I don't buy the fact that 1, they will make money while 2, already have labor involved and 3, should really be charging $5200, that is my point, $3200 is a very good deal and they will make money and take care of their customer. But if the next customer pays $5200 for same job, that's a rip-off....

In peak season, when the shop is booked a month out, $5200 will be normal business. The installer is giving good advice and a good price. It's up to the OP to decide if they want to accept it or upgrade to something like the Hampton 300i. Clearances are going to be critical with the fancy mantel.

mmjr, I don't think you will have an issue with overheating the room, that was why I asked about the area being heated. You have a beautiful house and a good insert is really going to be appreciated come winter. And you have a nice looking dog too!

Reactions: webby3650
Hello all,

Just a quick update for anyone who followed this thread a few months ago. We went ahead with the Regency I2400 insert (we also looked at the next size up - the I3100, but there wasn't enough clearance with parts of our mantel, and we didn't want to alter that.)

Here's a pic (bit dusty -- we had it installed a few weeks ago):
reg.jpg

Very excited to start burning and see how much we can offset our oil costs this winter.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Sweet, it won't be long now. How is the wood supply looking?

Very nice looking! You are going to LOVE heating with wood. The entire process of providing for yourself can be very rewarding.... Especially when you can sit in front of it and watch and feel the return of all your hard work and planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.