Chimney cap after 5 fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
Is this normal or a problem? I have had about 5 fires and saw this today. Granted, the wood is not the best but it will get better next year. Chimney is 15 ft high with an insulated liner and draws like crazy. Has a fire been to hot? I haven't got a temp checker yet. Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• 2010_0227Image0012.jpg
    2010_0227Image0012.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 487
  • 2010_0227Image0013.jpg
    2010_0227Image0013.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 516
  • 2010_0227Image0014.jpg
    2010_0227Image0014.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 483
It is just smoke that sticks to the cooler outside of the pipe.

+1. Wood burning is sometimes [always] messy.

Looks perfectly normal. Got nothing whatever to do with it having been "too hot". Rick

looks just like mine, shape and size..pluse the crap on outside of it..ahh well small price to be warm.

Seeing no problem . . . metal sometimes turns color with a bit of heat in it . . . not to mention smoke swirling around it.

Looks normal, I made a post just like this after about a week of burning. All the pros put my mind at ease.

I don't think that color has anything to do with being too hot. I bet that you can clean that goop off but if you had burnt the metal brown then it would be part of the patina. The label in the photo hasn't even shrunk so that cap hasn't been very hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.