Well, not exactly, but sort of. In any case I thought I'd post this for curiosity sake. We were going to be out of town Saturday and stay away from home for one night, so we were staying up late Friday getting things ready. Finally got to bed just after midnight, literally just climbed into bed when I heard a loud banging on the door. Who the heck comes calling at the wee hours of the morning??? Turns out it's the neighbor lady wrapped in her bathrobe (night robe?). She is a little excited and saying their are sparks coming out of my chimney. So I follow her outside and sure enough there is a glowing ember on the chimney cap. She informs me it doesn't look bad now, but a little while ago she saw a trails of "sparks" flying away from the chimney. Now I had just cleaned the chimney not long ago, and I was pretty certain there was no chimney fire, so I didn't get too excited, but I did thank her very much for alerting me and assured her I would deal with it. I watched it for a few minutes hoping it would burn itself out, but it was particularly windy that night, and every time the wind picked up it would fan embers on the cap and some sparks would fly off in the wind. Again, I wasn't particularly worried about it, there was a snow cover over the ground everywhere, and I have a metal roof, but for the sake of satisfying the neighbor lady, and making sure that nobody else in the neighborhood might see it and call the fire department, I decide I'd better get up on the roof in the middle of the night and properly inspect and deal with it. The metal roof is pretty steep, and the chimney would normally be hard to access but fortunately I have a system for getting up there to clean it, otherwise I'd have been hooped. Still, for some reason the idea of getting dressed and climbing up on the roof just after midnight on a particularly windy night, just wasn't something that appealed to me. But I did it anyway, and on the way up I grabbed a wire brush. When I got there I saw, as expected, that there was just a small amount of creosote around the cap that was "burning". No actual flames, just a burning ember, like the end of a cigarette. I dusted the ember off and that was it. problem solved. However, after climbing all the way up there I decided I'd better take the cap off and peak down the chimney. After all, I was already up there. The cap was hardly even warm, so it wasn't a problem to remove, although the only light I was working by was the moonlight and a distant street light, so I was extra careful with the wing nuts. Once I got the cap off I couldn't see very far down the chimney, but from what I could see there was just a light bit of creosote around the very top rim of the chimney. It was too dark to see anything down any further, so I stuck my arm down there to see what I could feel (obviously no chimney fire was going on). I couldn't feel anything significant. I thought about getting a flashlight, but I didn't want to climb down and go back up again. By this time my wife was outside on the ground, so I told her to go open the draft on the stove and get the fire going better. She did, and within a minute there was enough flames down below to illuminate up the 20 ft chimney and I could see pretty good.... Nothin. The only detectable build up was right near the top, and it was less than 1/4 thick. So it appears a stray ember from the stove had floated 20 ft up the chimney and momentarily stuck to a bit of creosote on the chimney cap, that was constantly being fanned by the wind, ignited and was sufficient enough to produce a light show significant enough to motivate the neighbor lady to come banging on our door after midnight. Don't know if there is any moral to the story, but I though it was worth telling since it was something that doesn't happen all the time. BTW. We left Saturday as planned, lit a nice fire before we left, and came home today (Sunday). I immediately went up on the roof again and ran the chimney brush down the chimney, replaced the chimney cap ( because I didn't bother to put it back on in the middle of the night), took my planks down and put everything away. I probably won't go up there again till spring. Next chance I get I'll thank the neighbor lady and explain what was going on, and that there was no real danger, but that it is certainly better to be safe than sorry. Here's an old video of the chimney (during the day).