chimney cap for o.s.w.d.???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geobckmstr

Nov 23, 2009
gods country.minn
i notice most people with o.s.w.b. dont use chimney caps?? why?? does it affect performance of the stove?? at the expence of these stoves and problems of them rusting out why wouldnt you use then??

Perhaps I missed the formation of a new acronym....but what the heck does "o.s.w.d." stand for?

As for caps - I'm guessing mostly it's cost but also it's impact on draft that keep some from using them....

Most of us use the initials "OWB" (with or without cusswords) for those outhouse looking units with the stacks... My understanding is that in most cases the manufacturer says not to use a cap, presumably because it would clog up with unburned creosote to quickly... However, outside of burning season, many users seem to put a cap of some sort on, often something as simple as dropping an empty 5 gallon bucket over the top...

Gooserider

Creosote is a big problem with a smoldering fire and OWB's will smolder a lot and especially so when high moisture wood is used in them. Outside of the manufacturer's "don't use" recommendations creosote will drip from the caps when wet wood is used and creosote and water (rain/snow) make acid so you would have a serious corrosion problem, to go along with all the other reasons listed above not to use caps. On the other hand I had a wood furnace with a long chimney and the cap blew off in a winter storm. The loss of the cap did not seem to make a difference and the collar which protected the two outer layers of the 3A chimney was still in place so I though I could wait until better weather. I thought that the stainless sleeve of the chimney would be alright. Icy conditions on the roof where, I needed to use a ladder to replace the cap, helped me procrastinate until summer. The creosote and water rotted out a crucial section of my 3A stainless sleeved chimney. So... OWB users that cover their chimneys during the idle season are protecting their investment.

stee6043 said:
Perhaps I missed the formation of a new acronym....but what the heck does "o.s.w.d." stand for?

As for caps - I'm guessing mostly it's cost but also it's impact on draft that keep some from using them....

Easy enough...Outside wood devourer's or ole' smokey wood dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.