Chimney cap needed for flat surface

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I have a client who had some squirrels fall down her chimney and wants a cap put on. This normally wouldn't be a big deal, but the top of her chimney is 100% flat so there isn't anything for a flange to fit over and screws to catch. The flues are filled with gas appliances so I don't have to worry about creosote, but I don't want it icing up from condensation either.

Any ideas what might work?

HY-C and others make a leg kit designed to go down into the flue and press against the sides:
http://www.hyccompany.com/ChimneyCoversDraftKing.html

Of, I could sell you one of my little boost-a-caps which go inside - but they extend the flue by a foot.
boost-a-cap.jpg

I had a similar issue, the chimney for the oil burner has rounded cement cap, a standard chimney cap would not fit.
I just took a standard cap and flattened the flange and attached it with cement anchors. Holding up just fine.

There are allot of multiflue caps available with a flange on them to screw down then the top removes for sercive. Just about every chimney supply place i have dealt with carries some many make custom sizes as well

Status
Not open for further replies.