Chimney cap question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clambdin

Jan 29, 2006
I have a chimney that draws good but have never put a chimney cap on it, just wondering if the chimney cap will hinder the draw any ? has anyone tried the vacu- stack ?

cll said:
I have a chimney that draws good but have never put a chimney cap on it, just wondering if the chimney cap will hinder the draw any ? has anyone tried the vacu- stack ?

Most chimney caps do not hinder draft - in fact, I have proof that they actually help in many wind condition.

A vacu-stak may hinder draft when no wind, but will help when wind is blowing.

Craig did you sell out to copperfields? they have simmilar extenda flues advertised.
I thought you should know about it

I have a 6X6 tile flue that is finished flush with the top of the chimney, what cap do you guys recommend ?

elkimmeg said:
Craig did you sell out to copperfields? they have simmilar extenda flues advertised.
I thought you should know about it

They were interested in buying extendaflue. Then they decided to stop the deal at the last minute and copy some of the units and ideas I spoke to them about....but they cannot copy the patented system....so they cannot really get it right.

cll said:
I have a 6X6 tile flue that is finished flush with the top of the chimney, what cap do you guys recommend ?

Most of the "industrial" look caps are relatively identical...you have to buy the additional mounting legs because your flue is flush.

If you want something decorative, look at the Proper Toppers that I make - http://www.extendaflue.com/pt.html - these look like clay chimney pots.

They do make those caps that mount straight to the crown with adhesive. That might work well for you. They have wing nuts that hold the top on so you can remove it for brushing.

I used the Vacu-Stak in my home in the mountains of WV. Winds were freaky.

Anyway, with a conventional flue-cap, during some windy days, I could not get a draft and ended up with a smoke filled house.

Went to the Vacu-Stak out of shear desperation and it solved the problem. In fact, when you would hear a big gust of wind outside, you would see the embers in the fire glow brighter, so I know it was doing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.