chimney cap question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoct

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2008
Griffin, GA
I installed my stove/liner last year. At the time, I didn't realize that they made chimney caps that actually fit the terra cotta tile. Mine is just the standard flat square thing which is built great and heavy, but just sits on top of my tile oddly. When I installed I put a gasket of stove goop that comes in a caulk tube (it sucks and gets brittle), but this year when I went to clean it all I noticed it was all gone and the top was just free floating on the top. Maybe I'll get the nice top next year, but to make it work and seal this year...

Can I just put regular silicone around the top to hold it on? I don't want to break it off and mount it flush because I'm already around 14 1/2' and I need all the height I can get. I can't afford a big nice chimney extender or anything like that, but will the silicone be ok or will it melt? I don't have any idea how hot it is at the top of the chimney or at that base plate.

help.

Silicone will work fine. Use High temp silicone if you're overly concerned about it.

I'd use RTV...I HAVE seen regular silicone melt
due to wood burning temps & run down the sides of the chimney...

Status
Not open for further replies.